Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: Best wood for woodburners guide

  1. #1

    Best wood for woodburners guide

    I've been looking around for another batch of wood and found this handy chart...

    Lanarkshirehardwoodfirelogs.co.uk - BTU Chart Measurements

    I was surprised to see how well birch scores.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    I've been looking around for another batch of wood and found this handy chart...

    Lanarkshirehardwoodfirelogs.co.uk - BTU Chart Measurements

    I was surprised to see how well birch scores.
    Birch has the best btu out of all timbers ,oak and beech etc are good but are very dense hard woods which burn slow reducing btu qualities .

    I tend to mix timber with peat which gives you a longer burn time ,over night burn use coal and partially shut the stove down give a good over night burn .
    Last edited by widows son; 08-02-2014 at 10:41.

  3. #3
    Birch is the best of burning, and you can burn it wet no need to let it stand and dry. Ash is also good has ashes like fine powder.

    John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

  4. #4
    Already got my drying sheds full up for next winter,beech,oak,ash and some silver birch.Will have to see if the oak will be ready to burn if not it can sit for another year.
    dave

  5. #5
    Canna beat Oak Whisky Barrels! I Must have the best smelling stick shed about!! And for 35 not bad!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	staves.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	37795

  6. #6
    Wood has broadly similar calorific whatever the species. Moisture content has far more bearing on the heat produced when burnt.


    Wood burning stoves should use wood of less than 15% moisture - for maximum stove life and output


    Generally wood should be seasoned for one year per 25mm of thickness

    http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/FC-BE...l-TechSupp.pdf

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Salmo Salar View Post
    Canna beat Oak Whisky Barrels! I Must have the best smelling stick shed about!! And for 35 not bad!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	staves.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	37795
    Where did you get those, looks like my kind of burning.

    John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    Where did you get those, looks like my kind of burning.

    John
    OAK FIREWOOD FOR SALE IN ELGIN | Moray | Gumtree

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by .25-06 View Post
    Wood has broadly similar calorific whatever the species. Moisture content has far more bearing on the heat produced when burnt.


    Wood burning stoves should use wood of less than 15% moisture - for maximum stove life and output


    Generally wood should be seasoned for one year per 25mm of thickness

    http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/FC-BE...l-TechSupp.pdf

    You won't get much firewood down to 15%. The inside of your house will be about that. Most bought in firewood will be below about 25-30% if it's sold as seasoned. You'll pay a lot of money for firewood at 15%. It'll burn very quickly too.

    I've worked in forestry since I left school and for most of that 20 years we've tried to eradicate birch. Until recently it was an absolute pest. Now it's worth more than the Sitka we were planting in its place! They must be kicking themselves. Birch is fantastic for natural regen, quick growing, fantastic burning, great habitat and you can make wine from it. I think it a wonder crop personally!
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Shabz View Post
    You won't get much firewood down to 15%. The inside of your house will be about that. Most bought in firewood will be below about 25-30% if it's sold as seasoned. You'll pay a lot of money for firewood at 15%. It'll burn very quickly too.

    I've worked in forestry since I left school and for most of that 20 years we've tried to eradicate birch. Until recently it was an absolute pest. Now it's worth more than the Sitka we were planting in its place! They must be kicking themselves. Birch is fantastic for natural regen, quick growing, fantastic burning, great habitat and you can make wine from it. I think it a wonder crop personally!
    Ill agree with your birch paragraph sap as of march pales and plugs at the ready .

Similar Threads

  1. Wood Chip Boilers - Wood chip fuel supply in Warwickshire
    By Nitroexpress in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-09-2012, 09:33
  2. I like wood I do!
    By mickthebrick in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-06-2011, 19:56
  3. Wood Preservative
    By Mannlicher_Stu in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 27-08-2010, 10:16
  4. Wood or Plastic
    By jimbo123p in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-01-2010, 20:44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •