Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nightmare! GWP v's Cat...

Nightmare! GWP v's Cat...

My mate is just off the phone. He was standing at his car with his GWP bitch who was waiting patiently for him to open the door for her to jump in, when the neighbours cat, who unbeknown to him had been under the car, shot out right past the toes of the dog. The inevitable happened, she grabbed it and after one shake spat it out stone dead.

The worst part was the neighbour and his family were standing there and saw the whole thing!

The neighbour started on about the dog needing put down! My mate has said sorry (what else can he say...), but it was made difficult as the dog was standing there wagging her tail looking fair pleased with what she had done...

His dog is well behaved and very friendly, but I guess a sudden temptation like that was just too much for her.

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    My mate is just off the phone. He was standing at his car with his GWP bitch who was waiting patiently for him to open the door for her to jump in, when the neighbours cat, who unbeknown to him had been under the car, shot out right past the toes of the dog. The inevitable happened, she grabbed it and after one shake spat it out stone dead.

The worst part was the neighbour and his family were standing there and saw the whole thing!

The neighbour started on about the dog needing put down! My mate has said sorry (what else can he say...), but it was made difficult as the dog was standing there wagging her tail looking fair pleased with what she had done...

His dog is well behaved and very friendly, but I guess a sudden temptation like that was just too much for her.

wouldn't worry to much my pat is 2 1/2 and had about 10 or so cats, I just turn round and say " I don't let my dog out shut the door let it sh*t and piss all round your garden, if you don't want any thing to happen to it keep it in or put on a lead as I have to with my dog" and if it was under your car what if u ran it over? It wouldn't have been your fault. I cant see it would stand up in court. and who would make him put it down? if the dog never shows aggression it would look bad if the rspca or some one made him put it down.

charlie

Its a trate of GWP, they do hate cats. My two tolerate my daughters cat when in the house but outside its fair game. No amount of shouting stops them, the cat wins the race to the fence at the moment but once the pup is fully grown it will be a different story. I look at it this way, cats chase birds, dogs chase cats. Its just the way it is no need for the dog to be put down, even the police wont push for that. Atleast they dont here. The only thing i can suggest is to have the dog on a lead whilst going to the car in the future

Al

Why should he put it on a lead when they are on there own property.
    Unless its just to keep the neighbours happy..

I don't think there is any legal issue at all to be honest. A cat is about the only animal you can run over in a car and not have to report the matter.

As said, cats do plenty killing of their own when raking about. I don't have anything against cats, but if you let it wander about on its own outside its at the mercy of dogs, traffic and so on...

my pointer has nailed a cat whilst i had it on a short lead peeing against some black bales ,the cat shot out and he gave it one shake ,and that was a street wise farm cat.

I remember as a kid a friend of my uncle having a one-eyed dog. It had picked a fight with a cat when it was a puppy and the cat scratched it and blinded it on one side. I'm sure nobody called for the cat to be put down!
    I found this in an article about a similar occurence where the cat owner was tryingto pursue action against the dog owner:
    The RSPCA said in order for an offence to be committed, it would need to be proved that a human had encouraged an animal to attack another animal, declined to take reasonable steps to prevent the attack, or had allowed their own animal to be dangerously out of control in a public place.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Awkward! But what if you kept bunny rabbits and that cat had got one of them?

I'm no cat person, but I understand that they are pets and people do become attached to them, much as you can with dogs. If I were your friend, I'd wait a while to let the dust settle and then offer to get a kitten for them, maybe offer to keep the dog on the lead until in the car. Generally build a bridge or two with the neighbour for the general good. It's nothing he HAS to do, but may pour oil on troubled waters.

[QUOTE=6.5x55;730780]wouldn't worry to much my pat is 2 1/2 and had about 10 or so cats, I just turn round and say " I don't let my dog out shut the door let it sh*t and piss all round your garden, if you don't want any thing to happen to it keep it in or put on a lead as I have to with my dog" and if it was under your car what if u ran it over? It wouldn't have been your fault. I cant see it would stand up in court. and who would make him put it down? if the dog never shows aggression it would look bad if the rspca or some one made him put it down.

Find it hard to believe that your getting away with this, my bull terrier killed a cat 20 years ago and the Police came to the house and told me to keep it under control

You have to get on with your Neighbours. It's all about give and take and if it means keeping your Dog on a Lead to the Car, it's not that big a Sacrifice in the Big Scheme of things. Cats are a nuisance but there you go, that's life.

Yorkie.