Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hornady for Deer

Hornady for Deer

I recently re loaded my 30-06 cases using the Hornady Interlock 165grn BTSP bullet and am very happy with the way they group and handle in my Classic Parker Hale at the range. The question I have is are they good on deer ? as I have not had the chance to use them out in the field yet and want to stock up at the shooting show next week if I see some.
    Cheers
    Nick

We have 500 on the shelf

Quote Originally Posted by Bali View Post
    I recently re loaded my 30-06 cases using the Hornady Interlock 165grn BTSP bullet and am very happy with the way they group and handle in my Classic Parker Hale at the range. The question I have is are they good on deer ? as I have not had the chance to use them out in the field yet and want to stock up at the shooting show next week if I see some.
    Cheers
    Nick
    No. These bullets have been known to bounce off of even the smallest deer, enraging them to the point of attacking the shooter.

Yeah. Only kidding. I personally witnessed 3 large mule deer and 1 smaller whitetail hit with these bullets launched from a 30-06 last November. All dead pretty darned quick.~Muir

PS: In my quest for a universal hunting load that will work well in all of my 30-06 rifles, this was the bullet I settled on.
    Last edited by Muir; 08-02-2014 at 14:41.

(No. These bullets have been known to bounce off of even the smallest deer, enraging them to the point of attacking the shooter.)

Well done Muir you got me there for a moment. But really glad they worked, looks like they will be my chosen round

brock and Norris are you at the shooting show ?

Very good on deer I use them in 270 and 300 both expand very well from munties to reds the next step up from them is the SST very good bullet

I use 130gr interlocks in 270.
    i like them, they hold together well even at very short range (sub 40yds) but they still open up well

You can see the interlock ring on the fully expanded bullet

Excellent choose. Used them in my 270 on red stags.
    Tusker

Thank you all, will stock up next week. They do group well so I will use them for my DSC1 shooting assessment on March 1st

Bewsher 500 thanks for the pictures clearly they will do the job

Quote Originally Posted by Bali View Post
    Thank you all, will stock up next week. They do group well so I will use them for my DSC1 shooting assessment on March 1st

Bewsher 500 thanks for the pictures clearly they will do the job
    I think you will find you have to use factory ammo for DSC1

Don't know how closely they check, but if they come out of a factory box I'm sure no one will notice
    CZ Mod 2e .22 ~ AI AE 6.5x47 ~ Sako M591 .308

Quote Originally Posted by P3T3R View Post
    I think you will find you have to use factory ammo for DSC1

Don't know how closely they check, but if they come out of a factory box I'm sure no one will notice
    Thanks just checked the manual it tells you what you are required to shoot as far as distance and target but nothing about ammo. No doubt someone on here will have the answer if not a phone call tomorrow is needed