Sako re barrel

crouch valley

I'm thinking of buying a sako 75/85 in 270 cal. I am thinking of having it rebareled with a custom barrel and slowly turning it into a semi custom rifle. What I would like to know is what barrel would you recamend bearing in mind I want it to be stainless and fluted. I want to keep it fairly light weight I will be putting a hardy mod on it.
How much would i be looking at for this work? Who would you recamend near essex to do this if I go down this route.

A big +1 for James and he's not too far away if you want it done in stages!;)
Have a look at my 'Pimped my rifle' thread to see his work. You'll not get a better price that's for certain!
MS

both james and neil mckillop are very good both on the work done and the prices.

if im ever in the money again i know where id be going.

best of luck,

bob.

+5 on james (jagerSA) he fitted a 30 cal 1-10 twist baggera barrel to my sako finnbear turning it into a 30-06 and pulls 5 shot group .40" @ 100 yds , when this wind fecks off ill stretch her legs but im really pleased with his work!

why spend the money on Krieger and Pacnor when a baggera barrel will do?

each to their own i spose but he did all the work inc barrel / coating for £650 , ive seen barrels costing nearly that !

+5 on james (jagerSA) he fitted a 30 cal 1-10 twist baggera barrel to my sako finnbear turning it into a 30-06 and pulls 5 shot group .40" @ 100 yds , when this wind fecks off ill stretch her legs but im really pleased with his work!

why spend the money on Krieger and Pacnor when a baggera barrel will do?

each to their own i spose but he did all the work inc barrel / coating for £650 , ive seen barrels costing nearly that !

Thats really good going Lee and for a 30cal, can't complain.

Id like to know what all the fuss is about barrels, I sometimes wonder if folk have money to burn. :)

ive used bartlein on all my 1000 yard rifles and they do perform i cant fault them from new after looking down them with a bore scope i have new reason to change

ive used bartlein on all my 1000 yard rifles and they do perform i cant fault them from new after looking down them with a bore scope i have new reason to change

Ok you use them Spud but that doesn't answer why they are better than anything else. I've seen a Bergara used for 1000s of rounds without any cleaning, looked just dandy and still shot bug holes.

The barrel making process is the same, the material almost identical 416 stainless, what sets the other barrels above the rest other than media hype?

i suppose we like what we get confidence in james none of the modern barrels are bad barrels all are very competitive and capable of producing the goods

Thats fair enough I guess, the process is all the same, drilling, turning, profiling, rifling, honing, fitting.
The material all but the same, I was just curious.

if the Baggera barrel factory had "schillen" above the door and not Baggera then there would be a heap of hype about schillen's new european factory , but really Baggera barrels are schillen barrels made from spanish stainless steel , bit like having a schmidt bander from germany and one from hungary! bugger all difference but the price .

if the Baggera barrel factory had "schillen" above the door and not Baggera then there would be a heap of hype about schillen's new european factory , but really Baggera barrels are schillen barrels made from spanish stainless steel , bit like having a schmidt bander from germany and one from hungary! bugger all difference but the price .

Good point. Thing is you either make a good barrel or a bad one whether it's a cut rifle or button rifle there's little to no difference other than time and process. The material is the same whether stainless or Carbon/chromoly.

Back