Thread: Feed storage bins

Feed storage bins

Hi, hope I've got the right section.

Our pheasant syndicate needs to replace some of the large fruit barrels that we currently use as storage bins around the shoot. We already have some galvanised steel boxes with Lids that hold approx 16 bags and would ideally like to buy 4 or 5 more of these. My question is please can anyone point in the right direction of as source of where I can buy them or tell me what I should be expecting to pay for them?

They will be our only storage for the wheat that is waiting to go into into our feeders.

If anyone of the experienced keepers on here have a better/cheaper alternative for storing around 16 bags, I'm happy to take suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Rick

we use a lot of oil drums, the type with the removable lid with securing clamp and can get 5 or 6 bags in each.

Regards,

Martin

Try your local re-cycling centre, look for old chest freezers, the ones that open from the top.
    It is usually the motor/electrics that make them redundant so are still waterproof.
    Even if the seal has perished, as strip of garden hose around the top will usually sort that out.

Do you intend to store it loose or in the bags,if loose an old chest freezer holds quite a bit, you can always give it a coat of green paint.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    Try your local re-cycling centre, look for old chest freezers, the ones that open from the top.
    It is usually the motor/electrics that make them redundant so are still waterproof.
    Even if the seal has perished, as strip of garden hose around the top will usually sort that out.
    Great minds think alike, you must have posted while I was writing

I use an old plastic 2000 litre oil tank, of the type used for domestic heating oil. Cut the top off with a jig saw and made a wooden lid, hold a couple of ton I think.

But it took a lot of work to get it to stop smelling of oil, lots of scrubbing with buckets of warm water and fairey liquid!

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    contact your local council.

we use old redundant domestic wheelie bins (and they are FOC

and they are easy to move around and we use them as feeders too.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Thanks for the replies so far, we only rent the shooting rights so need it to look as good as possible so don't think we would be able to go with the freezer idea. We have a couple of wheelie bins already but have found it hard to source them without helping ourselves from peoples gardens!

Rick

We use IBC containers (those 1000l plastic things) cut the top of and re-jig the metal framework, (best to leave a good 12" of vertical overlap on lid) makes it a decent hieght for bending down to pick bags up, can get between 15 easily and almost 20 bags in depending how tidy u stack them and i tie the lid on with baler twine, but with a decent overlap don't normally blow off anyway. Work well for us got them at all our ponds and pheasant pens,and nice a light to lug about when empty

We also have a disused oil container for storage at the hut but put the door in its side used to store around 11/2T in it before we got a better container