Forever in your debt....

filledeferme

To all those at SD who have taken the decision for newcomers to the sport like me have support to do my DSC1 I will be forever in your debt.
After being accepted a few weeks ago Mr Duncan Thomas had agreed to mentor me and quickly had me packing my bags for a three day stalking trip to Ipswitch. I was amazed how welcoming all of the other guys were and how everyone had input into my learning over the weekend. The stalk was being run by Craig and Woody from Hunting Experiences and I cannot thank them enough for the encouragement and support they gave me. They took extra time out to ensure that I took as much away from the weekend as possible. Craig went all through the workings of the Rifle the safety and when he was completely satisfied I understood everything, I took my first ever shot under his watchful eye. Woody spent lots of time with me going through the Grallocking and Lardering process and ensured I had a go and got my hands dirty so to speak. Their professionalism at all times in the field was very impressive as is their knowledge and passion for the sport.
I was able to sit in the high seat with Duncan and saw my first Muntjac shot, an excellent shot and a deer humanly dispatched.
in the evening it was wonderful to sit around and speak to everyone who shared a common respect for deer and the management of deer populations. This weekend showed me that ladies have nothing to fear in entering what has traditionally been a sport dominated by men. Go in with the right attitude, spend time with the right people and you will be welcomed with open arms.
This is a sport where there is so much to learn. Stalking Directory has allowed me to take that first step on what I know will be a life long journey. Thank you to everyone concerned. Filledeferme

Excellent write up, I see you are around Clitheroe, you are at least an hour & half closer to some deerstalking than those of us in the deer desert down here in Cheshire!!:D, You'll have to try to get on the local forests, or Greenfield maybe.;)

Excellent, this is one of the main reasons why we bought the directory over 6 years ago. Its because of the many good members on here that newcomers have so many good offers and the chance to get into deer management and stalking.

This site leads the way where others fail to succeed.

Well done guys, and look forward to more reports in the future

Very good article, welcome to the club, you will find genuine people on this site, all full of wisdom & advice

It is in the plan. Have my exam at Easter so will concentrate in that for now and then full steam aheAd. Have you shot around here at all?

I've got my DSC 1 in two weeks and I'm a total new boy to the stalking world. Figured I should get it done before I pick up bad habits and then struggle to overcome them in the test environment.

There's been a good amount of information on here that has sparked a few separate strands to my revision and this coupled with that great site that you pay a tenner for has boosted knowledge and confidence ahead of the course and exams.

I've only managed to get out to zero my rifles and haven't managed a stalk as yet and it's doubtful I'll get chance before the course but that's something I'm going to have to overcome.

Sounds like you're doing it the right way and I hope you ace your tests.

Excellent, this is one of the main reasons why we bought the directory over 6 years ago. Its because of the many good members on here that newcomers have so many good offers and the chance to get into deer management and stalking.

This site leads the way where others fail to succeed.

Well done guys, and look forward to more reports in the future

As my colleague said, well done guys. This is what the site is about! :thumb:

Hi Bob. Yes I did and thank you. Really impressed with the commitment of the guys at Hunting Experiences. No matter what you pay these day customer service is rarely something that impresses!!

It really is a cracking site, there's a real community feel to the forums and the generosity and eagerness to help is humbling.
Good luck with your future stalking efforts, filledeferme.

Hello The Real Chuck Norris! Well I cannot fail to be impressed with a man with Rifles plural. You are definitely ahead of me on that one. Fist time I ever held a rifle! Where are you taking your exam? Please do let me know how it goes. Filledeferme.

Learned lots and hope to repeat the experience again soon. Even learnt what us needed to make good fire in the pub over dinner. Please send me details of your Land to Larder course. Filledeferme.

Haha, I seem to have amassed a collection in a relatively short space of time. It's been a good journey from air rifles (still love my Air Arms S510 and shoot in comps every week), through shotguns (have four but only really shoot one regularly) to rifles. I picked up my FAC last November and have bought a .22lr, a .223 and .243 to keep me ticking over.

I'm lucky enough to have a close family friend with a farm and a small deer issue so I've promised to help him out but felt I needed to go about it the right way and get my DSC1 first.

I'm doing a course locally over the 22nd and 23rd Feb with the exams / shooting tests on the Monday so it's revision all the way to give me a good grounding ahead of the course.

I enjoyed reading your post, I'd be interested to hear how your other stalks go, it's great to hear it from the perspective of another person fresh into it.

Back