Thread: Bullet sizing

Bullet sizing

Hello,

I have cast 44 magnum bullets from by 6 cavity mold and they have come out great. I have the been trying to run them through the lee bullet lube and sizer kit on my dillon 550b press.

I lubed them before going through the press but approximately every 10/20 bullets, said bullet would not go through the sizer and I dare not put any more pressure on the press to force it through. To get the bullet out I hit a metal rod down from the top of the size to knock the bullet head out.

Do other people have this problem and am I doing something wrong.

Thanks
    john

Quote Originally Posted by 123standish View Post
    Hello,

I have cast 44 magnum bullets from by 6 cavity mold and they have come out great. I have the been trying to run them through the lee bullet lube and sizer kit on my dillon 550b press.

I lubed them before going through the press but approximately every 10/20 bullets, said bullet would not go through the sizer and I dare not put any more pressure on the press to force it through. To get the bullet out I hit a metal rod down from the top of the size to knock the bullet head out.

Do other people have this problem and am I doing something wrong.

Thanks
    john
    First off, do you really need to size ?
    Measure one from each cavity, find the largest, load a dummy round, and try it for function, if it chambers and extracts ok, then you don't need to size.
    Mine drop at .4310 and work sweet. If I size them .429, it leads the barrel up bad, and accuracy goes out the window, personally, I'd try some as cast and see how you get on

Pete
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

That is interesting, when I size there appears to be a big difference from bullet to bullet in the size and the level of effort to force through the press. When going through the press it appears to just remove material from the bullet on one side and not all the way round?

That is interesting, when I size there appears to be a big difference from bullet to bullet in the size and the level of effort to force through the press. When going through the press it appears to just remove material from the bullet on one side and not all the way round?

In that case, your creating inaccuracy by sizing. What is your lead mix ?

Pete
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Range scrap so I do not have an accurate measure of the content.

Basing it on weight, post sizing the weights are more similar to each other

Range scrap so I do not have an accurate measure of the content.

Basing it on weight, post sizing the weights are more similar to each other
    What mold are you using ? What's the actual weight compared to the mold spec ?

Home | Varminting UK

A lee 6 cavity mold. Not sure on the weight comparison. That is a good shout to check that.

When you size, why would this cause leading to the barrel, if you are reducing the size of the bullet?

Would this be a Lee 6 cav mould? I have the odd bullet in my two every now and get as if the mould is not quite shut they are a tad big.

Having said that, I've never had to force one through either my Lee sizer, RCBS Lube-A-Matic 2 or Lyman 450 but I do look at them with a cynical eye and any with whiskers or flashing get reworked.

I doubt lead mix is the issue as otherwise it'd be the lot and not just the odd one from a batch.

A lee 6 cavity mold. Not sure on the weight comparison. That is a good shout to check that.

When you size, why would this cause leading to the barrel, if you are reducing the size of the bullet?
    Too small can't get a good grip on rifling, so strips off up the bore, plus gasses get past too. Neither are good.

Pete

Home | Varminting UK