Some Lewis trout lochs

caorach

Seeing as I've been digging out some older photos over the last while it seems like fun to post them for the enjoyment of the citizens of SD. There isn't anything remarkable about them really other than that the first one was taken on a day when a cloud of doom dropped the most water on me that I've ever seen. As you can see it is flat calm and I'm certain the cloud followed me around all day.

Very nice Caorach. As we are on the subject, here some of the hill lochs I've been fishing the past few years, hopefully these will remind some people of better weather that will no doubt return one day!

Will

IMG_6520.jpgIMG_6447.jpgIMG_6473.jpgDSC03818.jpg
DSC03827.jpg

Great photos Will, and good fish as well especially from hill lochs where the feeding can be hard to get for them. I'm also impressed with your tent - I've reached the point with the Lewis lochs where most of the ones I haven't fished are going to require a tent as there is no way to walk out there and back in one day.

It was the lightest one I could buy - don't bother, it is freezing and condensation is terrible!

I took a gang of London surveyors who bought a guided trip from me in a H4H auction. Those fish came out of a loch where you seldom get fish to the surface, to one of the guys who decided to use something like a blood sucking leach and a sinking line. His idea not mine, and he took 6 fish mostly over a pound. I saw one in there probably over 3lbs that day, and another guy got broken off the day before on another loch (50-60m lower down the hill) on 4lb maxima, fishing an orange mayfly. Surprising to see a mayfly hatch that high up but it does happen. That was a great long weekend!

It was the lightest one I could buy - don't bother, it is freezing and condensation is terrible!

I'd thought of going the bivi route maybe but when you add up all the stuff you have to carry it then leads to quite a load for a few days out, which will slow me down a bit, so it is hard to balance the two things up. Also Lewis is mostly blanket bog and so there are very, very few places suitable for a tent or even a bivi as it is almost all extremely lumpy. I really like the idea of a few days out with a tent though :)

My advice is go in a pair or trio, and take a proper tent you can split up between you. Yes you will always end up sleeping on bog or v hard rock but where I fish it is usually worth it! Bivi is a good idea too that I would probably have a go at. It's just the best way to spend a weekend isn't it?

Back