Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Full bore target shooting.

Full bore target shooting.

Hello, I have only recently joined the site and am looking for a bit of advice. I currently shoot .22 in both light weight sporting with a cz 455 and prone using a walther kk200 up to 100m. I have a slot on my ticket for a .223 for full bore target shooting but as yet I haven't found one at the right price.
    The advice I need is would I be better off starting with a 223 (if yes do I need to worry about barrel twists). Or would it be better to apply for a variation on my ticket and go for a larger calibre for longer range with a view to doing some stalking in the future? (Currently I don't have permissions so stalking would be fairly infrequent)
    hope you can point me in the right direction.
    thanks phil

Hi Phil, welcome to the site.

If you are buying factory ammo a .308 is not much more expensive to run than a .223 for hunting ammo.

A .308 is a pretty good target round out to 1000 yards or so, providing you have a bit of barrel length to keep the bullet supersonic out that far, and is good for deer too.

For target shooting apply for both, make sure you ask for ".308/7.62" in case you want to buy surplus at Bisley (Don't ask, to do with the Surrey FEOs apparently) and ask for separate expanding and non-expanding ammo allowances.

I will tell you now however that a 1000 yard target rifle and a sub 300 yard deer rifle are two very different beasts and not much fun to use in each other's role.

Some people get one of those "tactical" rifles ( A short barrelled 308 with a fluted barrel and plastic stock by and large) in the hope that it will do both but usually end up with a stalking rifle and a target rifle when they see the light.

Don't be afraid of applying for the rifles you need, the police are usually helpful to bona fide applications.

I have just had a variation back and my new style licence states both target and expanding ammo, but as stated ask for .308/7.62. I did not but luckily Essex did put it on

You can pick up an old target .308 for 100-200 if you're ok with single shot. Just wait a bit, so you're not competing with me in the market!
    Last edited by Toxster; 10-02-2014 at 19:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxster View Post
    You can pick up an old target .308 for 100-200 if you're ok with single shot. Just wait a bit, so you're not competing with me in the market!

Good to hear Toxter, come and see me when you have that deer rifle bought and we'll go and blood it.

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I will put the variation into west Mercia and see how it goes. Would I be better to have the 223 taken off my ticket or just apply for the 308 as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Grandhubert View Post
    Good to hear Toxter, come and see me when you have that deer rifle bought and we'll go and blood it.
    Got the Deer rifle, but it isn't shoting straight atm. Will be trying to sort it this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandhubert View Post
    Oh he has one, it's just that he's been having a few disagreements with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil595251 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Looks like I will put the variation into west Mercia and see how it goes. Would I be better to have the 223 taken off my ticket or just apply for the 308 as well?
    There are people pushing for 223 to become the default target calibre (and a couple will shoot in competitions, quite successfully, out to 1000 yrds) but I don't think that will happen any time soon and, given the lack of interest in the military supplying ammunition for TR there's little benefit cost wise. Whilst I don't think there is any need to have it removed do remember you can't use it on deer (minimum of .240 IIRC).

If you have any interest in shooting in TR or F/TR competitions then a good .308 is a must have. If you have interest in the F class or other disciplines then the calibre options go up dramatically. As has been said earlier, a target rifle can be had for circa ~200 (likely to be an old Parker Hale at that price) but if you're serious then I would strongly advise you to look quite a lot further up the price range! Whilst a new rifle will set you back over 3500 you can get a very good, known gun for circa 1k that will stand you in very good stead. Look for Swings, Paramounts, Accuracy International PalmaMaster, Grunig & Elmiger You may even find an RPA Quadlock or (if you're really lucky) RPA 2000. Any of the above (plus others) will be good enough to win you the Queens Prize but you won't really want to cart them around stalking as a) they're all single shot and b) they'll weigh around 7.5kg / 15lb, c) will have target aperture sights d) are unlikely to be threaded and e) if you've spent that much on a TR then you won't want it getting muddy!!

Also bear in mind that most target barrels will need replacing at around 4500 rounds and most serious target rifle shooters will keep fairly accurate records of their shot count - beware if the seller can't tell you!

Hope this helps

JohnE
    Regular Bisley TR shooter

Quote Originally Posted by Toxster View Post
    Got the Deer rifle, but it isn't shoting straight atm. Will be trying to sort it this weekend.
    Of course mate, the nice old tikka wasn't it?

What's wrong with it?