Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trout fishermen, take note (Please read and sign).

Trout fishermen, take note (Please read and sign).

This an important announcement to gamefishers, especially, trout anglers, within the next year, the Enviromental Agency are planning on implementing a plan to only allow the stocking of triploid trout into all rivers and enclosed fisheries in England and Wales, for anyone who doesn't know, triploid trout can't breed, whereas diploid trout (native brown trout) can, stocking triploid fish is pointless and they will eat the food the native fish depend on, in the long term, the continual stocking of triploids will mean they eventally become the dominant species and the native brown trout will probably disappear.
    Another little known fact about the brown trout is that, some, but not all, go to sea and return as sea trout, both of these fish have the same species name (Salmo Trutta), so if the EA have their way, not only will the brown trout vanish, the sea trout will too.
    If your an angler, live with one or know one, please tell or send them the link below to register so we can try and get the governnent to overturn this decision.
    This is a very important issue, the brown trout in our waters have been there since the ice age and deserve to be protected.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/60567

Are they not allowing stock of fish taken from fish native to the system?? Myself personally wouldnt allow any stocking of fish unless they are of the wild strain from the source river. But I am a purist when it comes to river trouting..

Nutty

dunnit
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
    Adolph Hitler 1933

Quote Originally Posted by nuttyspaniel View Post
    Are they not allowing stock of fish taken from fish native to the system?? Myself personally wouldnt allow any stocking of fish unless they are of the wild strain from the source river. But I am a purist when it comes to river trouting..

Nutty
    +1

What is the EA's reasoning behind this?? Surely there must be something behind this policy, it seems a little odd to me.

As far as I remember from College (many years ago) triploid fish are often stocked in reservoirs/lakes because they grow bigger because they are sexless. Is that correct?

Just out of my own curiosity. Would a triploid fish, being as it has no sex drive still run to sea?

Quote Originally Posted by kernel gadaffi View Post
    This an important announcement to gamefishers, especially, trout anglers, within the next year, the Enviromental Agency are planning on implementing a plan to only allow the stocking of triploid trout into all rivers and enclosed fisheries in England and Wales, for anyone who doesn't know, triploid trout can't breed, whereas diploid trout (native brown trout) can, stocking triploid fish is pointless and they will eat the food the native fish depend on, in the long term, the continual stocking of triploids will mean they eventally become the dominant species and the native brown trout will probably disappear.
    Another little known fact about the brown trout is that, some, but not all, go to sea and return as sea trout, both of these fish have the same species name (Salmo Trutta), so if the EA have their way, not only will the brown trout vanish, the sea trout will too.
    If your an angler, live with one or know one, please tell or send them the link below to register so we can try and get the governnent to overturn this decision.
    This is a very important issue, the brown trout in our waters have been there since the ice age and deserve to be protected.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/60567

Loch Leven is a classic example. Stocked with rainbows for years and the brown trout numbers plummeted . The Loch Leven brown trout is famous all round the world , good news they have reversed there cycle and do not stock with rainbows !!!!
    Do you know what nemesis means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent, personified in this case by a 'orrible c@#t, me.

I can understand stocking triploids in commercial trout fishery lakes and reservoirs (they mostly do that already to ensure minimum stock weights are kept at a reasonable level - and that fishermen are not bothered by very small trout). I don't understand why this should apply to rivers where things should be in their natural state (eg trout of all sizes).

Signed
    Last edited by Webley Boy; 10-02-2014 at 21:52. Reason: added 'signed'

Quote Originally Posted by jubnut View Post
    What is the EA's reasoning behind this?? Surely there must be something behind this policy, it seems a little odd to me.

As far as I remember from College (many years ago) triploid fish are often stocked in reservoirs/lakes because they grow bigger because they are sexless. Is that correct?

Just out of my own curiosity. Would a triploid fish, being as it has no sex drive still run to sea?
    Yes triploid are sexless so don't really have a closed fishing season. That is how the small lakes are able to offer all year round fishing.

Signed but need to push this on other sites if we can.

Actually it is the complete opposite motivation and I do not agree with the poll
    knee jerk reaction without substance won't save the native brown trout
    as a fisheries scientist I can say I honestly believe this is a good policy

if you are prepared to stick any old crap in your river that will interbreed with the native population you will reduce the fecundity and quality of your natural broodstock
    "stockies" of any species for the purposes of fishing tend to be poor quality, fat on poorly structured high protein diets and have little value to the gene pool or overall quality of a indigenous population.

I should know I ran a fish production unit for the NRA before it became the EA.
    we killed more fish in the wild than we produced (and survived)!

mature "stockies" are the reared pheasants of the driven shooting sport.
    they serve a purpose but are of zero value to a resident breeding population

if you want to raise numbers do some work on the habitat and breed from resident broodstock and be a responsible fishery owner
    it is no more difficult and reaps significant gains

Environment Agency - Review of brown trout policy

ask any estate that has red/sika cross breeding if they agree!?