Thread: Sick roe

Sick roe

This year's doe, shot out of a family group this morning in West Berkshire. She was behaving quite normally before the shot, yet on approaching her to check for signs of life, I was shocked to see evidence of a major case of the runs. I checked the tongue and between the cleaves and then general bodily condition. She was very thin. I decided to take the head off first to check the retros and subs, and yet they were absolutely fine. On opening up, the mesenteric chain was like a line of large swollen acorns, however the portal, mediastinal and bronchials were fine. Liver and spleen were normal and there was nothing odd about lungs.

I've seen only one other animal suffering from similarly dramatic symptoms in some 15 years. Would be interested, Morena, in your informed observations about what was likely to have been wrong and whether deer can recover from such a debilitating condition.

KevinF.

Hi Kevin

Do you have any other pictures showing just how thin this doe was?

I despatched this deer which also had the runs and was painfully thin as can be seen..

Also only deer i have ever seen like it..

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by pheasant sniper 1
    Hi Kevin

Do you have any other pictures showing just how thin this doe was?

I despatched this deer which also had the runs and was painfully thin as can be seen..

Also only deer i have ever seen like it..

Terry
    Terry -

Alas, I do not. Could feel ribs very easily and, subjectively, would say she was at least 25% less in body weight than would be expected. But, yikes, yours was thinner than a very thin thing. Wonder what Morena's view is?

Best.

KevinF.

kevin,

did you check the femur for bone marrow? Could it be sudden winter death syndrome?

eating rape will scour them like that...had a few this time last year

Quote Originally Posted by apollo
    eating rape will scour them like that...had a few this time last year
    My first thought was the same.

Greg

I was thinking the same too, here on the Hampshire plains a lot of rape is grown and i do see a lot with messy backside's.

Anthony

I think Oilseed rape gets the blame for all kinds of ailments including scouring and blindness but this scientific test would indicate otherwise:
    http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/j...TRY=1&SRETRY=0
    Maybe there are many other causes but it is just easier to blame the rape?
    Rape has become a stable winter food source which wildlife didn't have a few years ago and may have actually saved the lives of many deer.
    The biggest killer of woodpigeons used to be a hard winter with no food around. Now we have milder winters and a constant rape food source which they can even get into with limited snowfall. MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker
    I think Oilseed rape gets the blame for all kinds of ailments including scouring and blindness but this scientific test would indicate otherwise:
    http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/j...TRY=1&SRETRY=0
    Maybe there are many other causes but it is just easier to blame the rape?
    Rape has become a stable winter food source which wildlife didn't have a few years ago and may have actually saved the lives of many deer.
    The biggest killer of woodpigeons used to be a hard winter with no food around. Now we have milder winters and a constant rape food source which they can even get into with limited snowfall. MS
    Used to keep Britain's canal bargees and their horses alive too. They'd scatter seed at regular mooring up points along the line so that there was always a green veg to feed themselves and the horse when they stopped for the night. They called it bargemans' cabbage. Of course, in those days it wasn't sprayed with God-knows-what, unlike today.

KevinF.

Kev, I think you may have the key there Bud!