bolt problem

I think that that is where the courts in the U.S. and the U.K. will differ Muir.

No court in the land or for that matter Europe would reasonably expect an article such as a firearm costing so little to have a life of greater than for sake of argument say 10 years. You would almost certainly be required to demonstrate that during the life of the firearm that it had been maintained properly and inspected regularly by a competent gunsmith when pursing such a claim, something that few of us could do.

If as you suggested you continued to use the rifle knowing that it may be possibly faulty then the court would undoubtedly rule contributory negligence and dismiss the claim awarding costs to the other side.

P.S. Yes I know that many firearms continue to be used that are 100 years old or even older, but what would the courts consider a reasonable expectation of serviceable life taken into consideration with purchase price. Not even Judge Judy would pay out on that one.:rofl:

You guys are so messed up.
You can return an item that you've purchased and used for a while claiming "Not suited for purpose" but when a crack shows up in a rifle bolt you let the manufacturers off the hook. Here we'd say "No way!" to the former and "Send it right in for repair!" to the latter. So be it. FWIW, I just looked at CZ's web site. No mention of life expectancy mentioned other than the rifle was designed to give "..a high degree of acuracy when firing and a long service life." I guess we just have different ideas about the definition of "long".~Muir

I would think that after you have followed the very good advice to get it crack tested properly, and if it is cracked, then write a proper letter of complaint explaining how disappointed you are in this potentially dangerous failure. You have never used non-standard loads and surely items of this nature should "fail safe" and this is not likely to happen in this case. You will be sure that this sort of problem is not one they would wish you to take further and look forward to their reply.

Davidl

I believe the CZ warranty for official UK imports is 5 years.

Neil. :)

There are some things that are beyond warranty. Some firearm parts wear, some break. Bolts are not supposed to crack under normal use. Seriously. Everyone who has had a bolt face crack under normal use, raise their hands...Come on, get them up there! Anybody?? Nobody?? Amazing! Must not be a normal circumstance of wear, then.
The notion that it would be is idiotic.
This would be a condition that -if CZ were smart- would be considered highly unusual and warranting investigation. ~Muir

(Did we ever pin down the actual age of the rifle??)

I agree, but they not supposed to be abused either, and that bolt didn't come by the dings and dents in normal use.

Neil. :)

Those dings and dents should not, would not, cause a bolt to crack. That is a major structural defect. Now, the flip side of this is that we don't know exactly the history of the gun, it's loads, etc., but it takes a LOT of force to crack bolt head. The two times I've seen it were a double charge of powder in a 303 British and a Mauser in which someone managed to get a 308 round into a 7x57. In both instances, the bolt head cracked off. In the instance of the Mauser, the magazine was blown from the rifle and the stock cracked as well. Our old Krag Jorgensen military rifles in 30-40 Krag were reputed to have cracked bolt heads from normal use but I have yet to see one in 42 years of dealing with Krags.~Muir

Back