Thread: jahtijakt classic suit

jahtijakt classic suit

Apologies guys,
    I appreciate this subject has been discussed at length before and i dont want to start any arguments over some clothing !
    I cant justify spending big money on harkila products as i would no doubt rip them on the first barb wire fence i jump over
    I like the look of the jahtijakt range
    Again, the "thorn" model is to expensive for my antics so i think i might settle for the classic suit
    Are they made of quiet material ?
    All honest opinions are welcome
    I will have to order on line as i can not find any stockists n.ireland, so i cant actually put hands on the product before i buy
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Devil_Bri View Post
    Apologies guys,
    I appreciate this subject has been discussed at length before and i dont want to start any arguments over some clothing !
    I cant justify spending big money on harkila products as i would no doubt rip them on the first barb wire fence i jump over
    I like the look of the jahtijakt range
    Again, the "thorn" model is to expensive for my antics so i think i might settle for the classic suit
    Are they made of quiet material ?
    All honest opinions are welcome
    I will have to order on line as i can not find any stockists n.ireland, so i cant actually put hands on the product before i buy
    Thanks
    No, they are not quiet, then nothing is. Walk slower and use your hips. They are no less or more quiet than Harkila

What they are, rugged, reliable, waterproof AND value for money. For the price you will be very happy.

Stan

Got two suits the premium i think it is and a cammo. Excellent value for money but lacks the finesse of Harkila. Id have another without a second thought although i have 2 nomads and a harkila and a ridgeline that i won from scott country. i wear the premium suit for beating but it has been repaired a few times. The cammo ive worn out the trousers as inside is white and they sustained a bad tear. Both Jakti suits have lasted five seasons now. The base and mid layers are great and i wear those almost every outing.

Hi,
    I own two of their suits. A premium and a cammo. Great budget suits that have served me well. BUT a couple of years ago I bought a pair of harkila pro hunter trousers. unbelievable, great stuff, hard as denim but soft to touch. Gortex lined that has never let me down. My advice, save and buy the best.

I still have the coat, but rarely used it as it leaked like a colander (using the word sieve would be complimentary)!

You say about ripping an expensive pair like Harkila (for the record hard to do), if you are worried about doing that then the Jahti Jakt will last you even less time, I have never seen a material that rips so easily, brambles will tear it. At least with pro hunter they are tough enough to withstand wear and tear, and after 5 seasons I am yet to rip my harkila trousers. What really got me, as I did repair the Jahti Jakt Gear, was that the seams basically washed off, making them even worse and the seams are a plastic type material that is incredibly scratchy once it peals.

What I do have and can't grumble about is the fleece, and thermals, all I have left, but in hindsight I wouldn't have paid 200 for a set of thermals and fleece!

For me, I couldn't justify the cost of Pro Hunter trousers and jacket, but after wasting 200 on the JJ gear, I did go with pro hunter and they are still going strong.

I know I tout this around a bit and you might be fed up with it or the gear may not suit you but...

There is lots of good mil surplus stuff about at the minute and when it comes to jackets I don't think you can beat it. The windproof smocks are not 100% waterproof but are good enough for most stalking/fishing and they have great pockets, are hard wearing, have a good hood, do break the wind and they can be had in a range of colours including the darker DPM pattern, the lighter and newer MTP, black, green and even bright RAF blue! Shop carefully and you can have one for around 10 - 15. The Germans also have a similar jacket in their Flecktarn cammo. I'm out probably 100 days per year and the windproof smock is the only jacket I wear on all except for a handful of those days.

On the rare days when you need to be 100% waterproof then wear one of the goretex mil surplus jackets UNDER your windproof smock - this way you keep your pockets and the smock keeps the noise down etc. but you are totally waterproof. It sounds like a mad idea but try it and see. You get get goretex jackets in the British MTP and DPM and also in German flecktarn, plus probably 1000 other variations that I've never tried. The MoD seem to have released a lot of UK goretex jackets and so new ones are currently available for around 20 - 25 in DPM and a bit more in MTP. Don't buy the "lightweight" or "paclite" type goretex jackets from the MoD as they don't get a good reputation. However, even the normal weight packs down very small and will fit into a space about 6 inches by 6 so ideal for the rucksack or even for keeping in the car for an emergency.

Given the above you can get the ideal jacket "system" for stalking for 30 - 50 and if you don't like it you can put it on ebay and get your money back. I now wear the mil surplus stuff almost all the time for both stalking and fishing and I have a range of Musto and other coats in the cupboard that rarely get a day out.

I always find that getting trousers is the tricky bit and when it comes to trousers it pains me to say it but I wear Harkila. They are the only trousers I've had that have lasted any length of time, apart from a pair of Stealth Gear trousers that are awful, leak, are noisy and just seem not to want to fall apart despite being on the verge of it since new. As you see on this site a lot of stalking gear is very much a "fashion" item so buy last year's model and you can have Harkila trousers at a decent saving. Throw your mil surplus jackets on top and you are geared up for any conditions.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

i had one of the complete outfits under garments very good but don't wash the jacket and troll's as the patches are man made and they fluff up then seams leak my cleaner destroyed it , but i never got wet before i had it dry cleaned ,all the under garment are still top draw .would i have another yes i prob would when my deerhunter gives up the fight.

SD Regular
    No, they are not quiet, then nothing is.
    A good tweed is. All the noise comes when you get the invoice! But having had a tweed suit (I'm too fat around the gut for it now) in about 1990 it is absolutely silent compared with the rustling of most man made fibres. Or indeed anything that is a wool type fibre. You might hear of "sheep rustling" but you never hear a "rustling sheep".

I have a Jahti suit.
    The suit itself is ok, sizes are limited to tall fat bloke or short fat bloke. Fine unless you're not fat.
    It's as quiet as other synthetics.

True, they're not the most robust but mine has survived Scotland hills in Dec/Jan a number of times now and is as waterproof as anything else I have.

I think part of the issues is with the "free" extras. Hat is ok, gloves are crap, underwear is mediocre.
    If they dropped those and reflected it in the price they'd be better off.

Incidentally, there is only 1 importer in the UK and he operates out of a storage lockup in South London.
    I went there once and he did have a bog box full of returned boots and a lot of returned camo outfits.

Frankly, I'd explore Laksen and or Seeland (they own Harkilla) at the same price point.