Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .375 H&H - Deer and Boar?

.375 H&H - Deer and Boar?

Evening,

Just wondering what peoples experiences are with this lovely classic hunting calibre?
    I am looking at going to the continent in the next year or so on the boar, I also shoot Sika on a regualr basis and our syndicate is 12,000 acres of Scotland.

Do they cause too much damage to things like Red and Sika? Also, is this something the plod are going to get funny about or are they reasonably common for shooting large deer in the UK?

Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by martinrs View Post
    Evening,

Just wondering what peoples experiences are with this lovely classic hunting calibre?
    I am looking at going to the continent in the next year or so on the boar, I also shoot Sika on a regualr basis and our syndicate is 12,000 acres of Scotland.

Do they cause too much damage to things like Red and Sika? Also, is this something the plod are going to get funny about or are they reasonably common for shooting large deer in the UK?

Martin.
    I keep a 375 H&H in my cabinet for two reasons: One is to use specifically North American Elk for which I think it is a superb cartridge, and the other is that I darned well LIKE having a 375 H&H! The thing is tho, I don't have to shoot it and frankly, I seldom do. I have considered loading it down for deer but then I'm carrying around a heavy rifle that will kill deer no better than my 7-08, 308, 6,5x55, 30-06, 308 Norma Mag or a raft full of other cartridges. If you don't reload, you are dealing with cartridges better suited for African plains game than deer. If you do reload, you're paying a premium price for bullets and feeding a hungry case. Other than something along the lines of my Reason Number Two, I can't see what the attraction would be. Boar? A 175 from a 7-08 should stop them cold.~Muir

Never had an opportunity for an elk however I've had a 375 H&H for a number of years in one form or another. Killed a couple whitetail doe with the old Interarms Mark X a few years back . This past season I got a pair of 8 pointers with my Ruger 1H .

When I appilied for my .375 H&H giving Deer & Boar as the reason I was informed that it could only be given for Dangerous Game. I am off to Africa later in the year
    This will get the dangerous Game sorted and then AOLQ will cover Boar & Deer. I intend to use it mostly for boar in Europe.
    If a wolf can take down a deer from either flank, does that make him bambidextrous?

I have had for one for several years now and other than big game hunting I have taken a few deer and rabbits with it, the soft points (300grn) are generally designed to expand on larger animals and the damage on deer is usually minimal if you put the bullet behind the front leg, hit a shoulder and its going to make a mess but the same could be said of the most common stalking calibres.

My .375 is not particularly heavy but well balanced and has little recoil, it shoots reasonably flat and hits hard, I say just buy one and be done with it, everybody needs a .375 oh and a 400/450 double

Should be fine I'd have thought. I've seen roe shot with a 9.3x62 and there certainly wasn't excessive meet damage with that so don't see why the 375 H&H should be worse on a reds & sika.

ATB,

Scrummy

I asked for .375 with my force and they got jittery, said if I put boar on my ticket they would consider it.
    Not too hard a task with the availability of boar on here but I chose the .300 Rem ultra mag instead.
    I'm more than very impressed with its performance, had it a couple of years now and if your wanting to put the biggest of animals down on the spot at distance with no fuss its the tool in the box for sure.

establish good reason ie driven boar, make sure you get expanding ammo on you cert for it or how else can you hunt the game in countries that simply don't have over the counter .375 ammo and after you've been there, aim to get it opened up for here too

Quote Originally Posted by Cumbrian 1 View Post
    I say just buy one and be done with it, everybody needs a .375 oh and a 400/450 double
    Sound like a good enough reason for me

Yes I can see why they might have the jitters, to my mind it will still kill someone as quickly as my 17hmr so as long as a person isn't irresponsible and not using it for its purpose then what's the problem? but that is my mind and not one of a civil servant :P

Are people regualry granted 9mm+ for deer in this country with little bother???

I do reload so that wouldn't be a problem downloading it for the likes of Reds and Sika.

Martin

I cannot speak about the .375 H&H but I have a lot of experience with the 9.3x62. I love this round and I have shot roe kids up to boar and red deer with this calibre. The great thing about the calibres in this range are that they pack a hard punch due to the amount of energy they hold; but are slow.

Due to them being slow they don't cause meat damage; less than my .270 Win in my humble opinion. But it is the energy that makes these calibres such a good round and penetrate deep causing shock within the body.

Just thought I'd add my two-pence worth

PS I have only shot in Germany with my 9.3 because that is where I live; but they don't distiguise what you can and can't shoot with a certain rifle.