Boots Again

Robbo25

Hi all,

I'm after some help with choosing my next pair of boots.

I've been using a pair of Le Chameau Mouflon Plus boots for the past 5 years or so and it's now time to keep them for summer use and splash the cash on something new that will keep my feet warm and dry whilst stalking through the burns and bogs of Scotland.

I've been delighted with the Mouflon plus boots to date which have proved to be the most comforatable pair of boots i've owned and am happy to buy another pair but wonder what else will break in easily, stay dry and keep my feet/ankles supported?

What are your views on Lundhags? Lundhags Syncro Highs or others.

Look forward to your views.

Robbo25

Ive got Le Chameau Vibram and whilst i found the support great and the fact they keep you warm and dry okay i wouldnt buy another pair..

Im up for a pair of Le Chameau boots myself next time..

Lost count of the number of people ive seen wearing them which i guess must tell a story..

ATB

Terry

Robbo25 said:
What are your views on Lundhags? Lundhags Syncro Highs or others.

Look forward to your views.

Robbo25

My mate brought a pair to take on our hunting trip to NZ last year, they leaked first time out while stalking in the UK, he was told by the supplier he had not waxed them enough, they were brand new and he had wax them. :eek: He tried again and covered them with the Lundhag wax, then he walked the dog in them, they leaked again. The supplier was evasive; I know were there is a pair going cheap only worn twice. ;) :lol:

ATB

Tahr

Thanks very much to those who took the time to respond.

I'm still blinded by the choice and variety on offer and mixed reviews on just about all boots.

Found a local dealer doing the Mouflon Plus boots at £211 a pair which looks good.. but I am tempted by the good write up's across the board on Meindl boots.

Apart from a few complaints on squeeky laces the write up's appear to be generally very good.

With that in mind does anyone know of a supplier of Meindl boots in the hampshire area that may have a pair of Dovre Extreme GTX's.

I like to try on a pair of boots making sure they fit well.. and I cant find a gun shop or country clothing supplier in hampshire on the intranet that stocks the boots in my area.

Any ideas??

Many thanks

Robbo25

Meindl every time especially as w slacks does the Dovre and the Glockner (i have these as the dovre were too wide) for less than that and free postage

I've had my Irish Setter boots rather longer than Mr Free Market, but I'm just as pleased with mine. :D :D

Worth a look/try on if you can find them!

I'd rather buy boots from someone who does just that, and well, rather than a firm that makes everything - boots, wellies, coats etc etc.

I think that Mouflons are like Freelanders - a lot of happy customers, but you also hear of a lot of niggling problems. Just a thought.

Lowa's Lowa's Lowa's Lowa's Lowa's Lowa's you will not be sorry loads of types goretex , high ankle low ankle etc. they are very comfy and will do all you ask of them not bad for £130ish .....neil

Well I am still wearing my first proper walking/stalking boots that I brought back in 2003 and apart for a few scrathces from brambles etc they still look new when cleaned that is :oops: Only did that last week as they were a bit caked in mud.

I believe mine are the Mouflon but as it was over Six years ago now I do not quite recall but they come up well over the ankle and have never leaked and the only time I got cold feet was when sitting in a Hunting stand with the mercury hovering around zero to +2 and being sat in the stand for some 8 hours. Yes 8 Hours on General deer season opening day on a trip to Missouri. I brought the boots and a pair of Deerhunter pants for that trip and am still using both.

Robbo25 said:
I like to try on a pair of boots making sure they fit well.. and I cant find a gun shop or country clothing supplier in hampshire on the intranet that stocks the boots in my area.

Any ideas??

Many thanks

I always use The Black Islander Company. First rate retailer but not in Hampshire. But they are always happy to post.

Robbo25,

This Autumn I purchased a pair of Hoggs Veldshoen. a really thick handcrafted leather boot. At £175 they are not cheap and so far worth every penny.

I have I stalked stags in Glenlyon, roe does here in Aberdeenshire and have come home every time with warm and dry feet, and I have to stress, feet that do not ache untoward being well supported at the ankle. However, the greatest test has been these last few days in Aberdeen as I have been walking about the countryside in 20cm of snow with temperatures -7C and still my feet remain as warm as toast.

"Ya canna beet gud ol leva ya ken......"

I recomend Hoggs..........

Donsider

Hi All,

Many thanks again to you all for your thoughts and responses.

A friend of mine popped into a place in Lancaster today and got them to send me down a pair of Meindl Dovre Extreme GTX to try.

I'm told to go a size bigger with these.. so hope it's not a mistake!

Will let you know how the sizing goes and what I think of them after my trip to Mellness Forest Lodge with David and his family later in January for some late hinds.

Happy new year and I wish you all a prosperous and happy 2010!

Robbo25

Go half a size bigger!!!!!!!!
I have the meindl glockner which i have worn for a full stag season and part of a hind season....everyday on the hill on some of scotlands wettest and most harsh terrain!!....and they have been faultless! :D :D
Providing you keep waxing them with nikwax or mink oil the leather itself keeps a good deal of water out, and then the goretex lining is of course your second barrier. I reccommend wearing gaiters obviously, my choice being the ones made by KAMMO as again they performed faultlesly (my headstalker and the pony boy wore black islanders, less than a year old and the underfoot strap broke!..the new ones aren't as good quality as the old ones, mine were 14 years old and retired early season 'cos they started leaking.)
As i mentioned earlier only go half size bigger if you must!...i'm size 8 and i got size 8 boots...one thin and one thick pair of socks were fine for me!!
The lundhags btw were never designed to be fully waterproof!...they were designed to dry quick when wet...after all only goretex lined ones can be classed as waterproof!

Good luck.

Steve

Boots

Had 3 seasons from my mouflons now for dry weather use only as rubber has perished and a leak in one .Looked at a replacement pair but workmanship appears to have gone south.New Mendil dovre extremes arrived a couple of days ago and are comfortable out of the box and am impressed by the quality time will tell.

Back