Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Urban fox control with an air rifle

Urban fox control with an air rifle

Seen this and well worth a read he gets 350 to kill foxes humanly with an air rifle. Think i will be changing jobs.

Pest control expert who camps out in clients' bedrooms under cover of darkness with a high-powered air rifle claims to be Britain's first URBAN fox hunter | Mail Online

Bad news always sells papers
    ,I dont really take any notice of paper talk,especially when the statement says with an air rifle

It doesn't look very much like an air rifle to me.
    In fact there was a programme on the television a while ago about a guy doing exactly as he is reported to be doing and he was useing a .22rf.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    It doesn't look very much like an air rifle to me.
    In fact there was a programme on the television a while ago about a guy doing exactly as he is reported to be doing and he was useing a .22rf.
    I've shot a fox with an air rifle. It was obviously wounded or sick as it was struggling to walk. I got to within 10 yards and put a .177 pellet straight into its head from a sub 12 ft/lb BSA Supersport. It went straight down. I followed up with 2 more to make sure. One of the point blank shots actually exited through the bottom of its jaw.

Not saying its the correct tool but can be done at close range.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroku6000 View Post
    I've shot a fox with an air rifle. It was obviously wounded or sick as it was struggling to walk. I got to within 10 yards and put a .177 pellet straight into its head from a sub 12 ft/lb BSA Supersport. It went straight down. I followed up with 2 more to make sure. One of the point blank shots actually exited through the bottom of its jaw.

Not saying its the correct tool but can be done at close range.

A Theoben Eliminator from an upstairs window into top of skull works well too, apparently

Pete
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

I used to have an FAC .22 PCP which was very capable, apparently!

I didn't imply that an air rifle couldn't do the job in capable hands under the correct conditions.
    It actually looked as if he was using a more suitable tool for the job than an air rifle, ie a .22rf.
    Last edited by EMcC; 11-02-2014 at 22:59.

Knob. Definitely not the first person to be doing this.

Re his rate what do you lot think is a fair amount to be sat in a built up area all night to try and shoot a fox that you then have to dispose of?

Funny how wandering around the woods for 3 hours with a client justifies 100+ but sitting in the dark for 8 hours taking a risky shot isn't worth anything.

Just to throw a spanner in the works

Is an air rifle a bona fide fox dispatch weapon ?????? Irrespective FAC or not

Around these parts to dispatch foxes using a .22 LR the norm is to have the (to dispatch in live catch traps and or short range dispatch of foxes) on your FAC certificate

just a thought

phil