Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suspended gralloch - share your method

Suspended gralloch - share your method

I've always been proud of my method of field gralloching but lately the saturated/boggy has got me experimenting with suspending the carcass from a tree for a larder style gralloch.

I've found a couple of threads on suspended grallochs but not many go into detail on equipment for the job.

Have you found a lightweight/portable pulley system perfect for the job? If so then please share with pics if possible!

When you say lightweight/portable, do you mean hand-carry?

regards

Ian

I use one of these pulleys HS Economy Gambrel and Hoist Kits : 417654
    and one of the folding gambrels from monarch.

Yes. Sort of like the link Point blank has posted but I'm looking for a minimalistic version that won't take up much space in a roe sack.

I pretty much always do suspended - just find it easier / cleaner. Diagram is below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3sc9.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	37981

Gambrel is a folding one from Monarch.
    Rope is 11mm Static (overkill in terms of load bearing!)
    Suspension point is a climbing sling and karabiner (sling goes round tree branch, Karabiner holds capture pulley)
    Capture Pulley is one of these http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/self.../micro-traxion
    Prussik / Foot loop is 5mm climbing cord.

Get sling over nice thick tree branch, attach pulley to Karabiner (rope and foot loop already attached). Attach gambrel with another Karabiner to rope. Put gambrel through hocks, use bodyweight to raise deer by standing in the foot loop. Capture pulley only lets rope travel in one direction, prussik slides up rope to allow manouver to be repeated. Once all done, release capture pulley (just press the button on the top) and drop carcass into roe sack / carcass tray.

All fits into one of the pockets on my roe sack and doesn't require the strength of hercules to manage!

Of course, I come from a climbing background, so had all of the kit to hand!
    Last edited by Tom_Ov; 12-02-2014 at 13:55.

I liked the lookup of your setup until I saw the price of that capture pulley

I think I'll stick to gralloching on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Ov View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3sc9.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	37981

Gambrel is a folding one from Monarch.
    Rope is 11mm Static (overkill in terms of load bearing!)
    Suspension point is a climbing sling and karabiner (sling goes round tree branch, Karabiner holds capture pulley)
    Capture Pulley is one of these http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/self.../micro-traxion
    Prussik / Foot loop is 5mm climbing cord.

Pulley system http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-6...=pulley+system £6.79.
    Mini Grambrel http://www.monarchcountryproducts.co...product_id=147 £14:30 plus postage.
    You will have to file the pulley hooks a little bit to get the gambrel ring to fit but nothing too difficult there. I also changed the horrible nylon rope to thick Para cord which is something I feel sure that you could acquire. An S hook and it's job done without breaking the bank.

Baguio

Quote Originally Posted by Oh6 View Post
    I liked the lookup of your setup until I saw the price of that capture pulley

I think I'll stick to gralloching on the ground.
    Yeah, they are pricey (although very good - decent sized sheave, good capture mech etc)! I picked one up for £40 and use it for other stuff so it was worth the investment for me. You could always use a pulley wheel on an oval karabiner ( Pulleys - Needle Sports
    - the orange 2.99 one) and use another prussik knot as a clutch but the set up wouldn't be quite as slick.

For Roe or small deer, use the boot lid of your vehicle with a small 'S' hook clipped into where the boot latch bar goes! Carry a length of 2x2" wood or similar to prop the boot lid open. Job done and can be swung straight into the vehicle into a tray.
    MS

And on hill? eh sky hooks?