Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eyesight and Woodland Stalking

Eyesight and Woodland Stalking

Don't usually share my ailments never mind publicly! However there are not many people that would understand the frustration of seeing the white rump of a Roe deer bob into the distance. Add to this the fact that I am stood in the half light knowing that I should and could have spotted but I am trying to focus on my surroundings with my dominant eye short-sighted and my other eye with perfect vision.

Cut a long story short I had laser eye surgery 10 years ago and my dominant eye has gradually become short sighted again to the point where it is effecting my depth of vision. I will be going back for it to be corrected again when it stabilises but in the mean time it is incredibly frustrating! Contact lenses don't really sit well on my eye anymore and i refuse to wear glasses again (there would be little point in this weather anyway!).

On the plus side I am using my binos a lot more and I might even be spotting more that way as a result.

Anyone else had eyesight frustrations and want to commiserate with me!?

Tack very interested to hear how long ago you had surgery - sounds like it has been a success more or less. I don't know anyone who did it that long ago.

i am very short sighted (-4.5 or so but fine vision with glasses or lenses) and have been thinking about having it done. My brother did it a few years ago when in the army through some scheme or other.

Would you consider it a success and if you had your time again, would you have the surgery?

Will

Quote Originally Posted by Essexsussex View Post
    Tack very interested to hear how long ago you had surgery - sounds like it has been a success more or less. I don't know anyone who did it that long ago.

i am very short sighted (-4.5 or so but fine vision with glasses or lenses) and have been thinking about having it done. My brother did it a few years ago when in the army through some scheme or other.

Would you consider it a success and if you had your time again, would you have the surgery?

Will
    Yes I would have it done all over again. Don't know why one eye has regressed and not the other. There are always pros and cons. Ultralase did it for me and they look after you with unlimited aftercare and my second lot of surgery won't cost me anything. I'm told as technology develops there is less risk involved as time goes on.

Thanks for that Tack - That's a great guarantee. I'll look into Ultralase. Might be selling a few shotguns to fund it, keep yuor eyes peeled for a bargain!

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    On the plus side I am using my binos a lot more and I might even be spotting more that way as a result.

I was with a friend a few weeks ago, he planned to have laser surgery but found he had cataracts, he had those done privately. If you don't know, they normally put new lens in during surgery. He paid extra and had bifocal type lens in, he's very pleased with the results.
    Cost hin 2000 pounds for each eye.

I have Glaucoma, now blind in one eye and unfortunately cannot buy a cure.
    I still have the lower half of my right eye working and paid 2005 to have a cataract removed from this one.
    The good news is I can walk up and down steps with no problem and do not piddle on my slippers when I go to the toilet !
    Unfortunately my shooting days are over also my wildlife photography, however I have had a long successful shooting life since 1951 when I first got my FAC , twice being selected to shoot for the England International DTL Clay pigeon team and shooting all 7 species of Deer from Muntjac to Moose.
    I have an all-terrain luxury mobility scooter which gets me about though.

HWH.

My problem s I can't handle bifocals and can't see the sights with the glasses for distance and vice versa. 6x scope just don't do it for me in cover because I can't adjust to find stuff quick enough. Tried open sights with florescent paint thaty worked OK, but a 1.5-4.5x20 scope seems to be the saviour..... Put screaming ears on top of that and ask about frustration..... You can overcome anything tho. Maybe time to do some more stand/high seat hunting. Some won't call it hunting or even ethical, but you have to scout to figure where to set and it's a lot more ethical than a gut shot because you misjudged. I can still see distances pretty good tho...

I had laser treatment carried out 13 years ago at Leeds Hospital. I have been delighted with the result. I was told at the same time I would require reading glasses with in 5 years, turned out to be 7. My master eye has just started to regress it was picked up at the annual test. I am interested to hear one can have re-treatment, the optician suggested this was not the case. Will investigate.

Quote Originally Posted by stag1933 View Post
    I have Glaucoma, now blind in one eye and unfortunately cannot buy a cure.
    I still have the lower half of my right eye working and paid 2005 to have a cataract removed from this one.
    The good news is I can walk up and down steps with no problem and do not piddle on my slippers when I go to the toilet !
    Unfortunately my shooting days are over also my wildlife photography, however I have had a long successful shooting life since 1951 when I first got my FAC , twice being selected to shoot for the England International DTL Clay pigeon team and shooting all 7 species of Deer from Muntjac to Moose.
    I have an all-terrain luxury mobility scooter which gets me about though.

HWH.
    Sounds like you still live a full life Stag and glad you can still aim straight! We can benefit from all your experiences with your contribution on here as well.