Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .204 ruger

.204 ruger

I hope this is in the right place... not sure if its meant to be in gunsmith... sorry if im wrong.... now that's out the way....

ive always wanted a custom build... and I have a Remington 700 bdl 222 rem, and I was going to get it screw cut and comp crown, but im now thinking of getting it re-barrelled in 204 Ruger.

Im thinking of going stainless with a varmint profile barrel but have it fluted, to make it slightly lighter and it looks good..... as well as have a competition crown on it and screw cut. rough cost?

I will prob only ever run it with a muzzle break on it, but id like to have it so if need be I could put a mod on...

I will also put either a bix'n andy or a jewell trigger on it... what's better?

a new stock, would like a laminate thumbhole, any good makes? and a ish price? I will also have it pillar bedded and glass bedded

would also like the bolt fluted with a nice bolt handle, what would the rough cost be?

and I will also have a third eye tactical picatinny rail and mounts, or the uni mount they do.

what would be the rough cost of it? and could any one suggest some one who will make a good job it?

cheers charlie
    Last edited by 6.5x55; 13-02-2014 at 12:23.

why would you want a muzzle brake on it??? Just get a decent light weight mod.

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by 247sniper View Post
    why would you want a muzzle brake on it??? Just get a decent light weight mod.

Steve.
    well I don't really like mods, but sometimes need one, I also have a good mate in Ireland, as as I believe you cant take a mod over there? I don't know for sure as last time I went I took my 6.5x55 and didn't have a mod at the time so didn't need to find out....

charlie

A MB is really only to tame the recoil down, there is next to nout with any .204 in terms of recoil, if you dont want a mod dont waist your time and money with a brake, its pointless mate.

Quote Originally Posted by 247sniper View Post
    A MB is really only to tame the recoil down, there is next to nout with any .204 in terms of recoil, if you dont want a mod dont waist your time and money with a brake, its pointless mate.

im aware what a mb is for, but il need it srew cut for if I need to put a mod on, and I just like the look of a mb so I look at it as if im spending money on getting it built I may as well have it as I would like it, rather than have one of them " damt I wish id done it when I could " moments....

charlie

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5x55 View Post
    im aware what a mb is for, but il need it srew cut for if I need to put a mod on, and I just like the look of a mb so I look at it as if im spending money on getting it built I may as well have it as I would like it, rather than have one of them " damt I wish id done it when I could " moments....

charlie

Yeh fair enough mate, get one if you fancy one.

Go on the UKVarminting forum and ask for Baldie. He'll sort you out.
    I just bought a second hand custom 204 on a remington action for 2K
    26 inch Pac-Nor 5 fluted barrel
    Bell& Carlson Tactical stock
    Ase S5 Mod

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5x55 View Post
    any one?
    I have a re-barrelled Sako S491 in 204, bought it from Sir-Slots-A lot here last year just after it was rebarrelled. I like it a lot, very fast and very flat shooting. Mine has a 10 twist and shoots the 40gr bullets very well, I haven't tried anything heavier. It fairly vaporises magpies and rabbits out to 400 yards or so, which is as far as I've shot it. Also, I would absolutely fit a mod, the 204 has a very nasty crack akin to the 22/250. There is no issue using a mod in Ireland, north or south. I suspect it would be a very nasty round to shoot with a muzzle break, the recoil is non-existent, there are only down sides with a muzzle brake on a calibre like that.

I guess a re-barrelling job with a good name barrel is going to cost 800-900.

Given all the bits and bobs you want to add, I would not bother re-barrelling the Remington, I'd sell it and put the cash towards a full blown custom on a Stiller Predator action or the like....
    Last edited by Claret_Dabbler; 13-02-2014 at 14:20.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    I have a re-barrelled Sako S491 in 204, bought it from Sir-Slots-A lot here last year just after it was rebarrelled. I like it a lot, very fast and very flat shooting. Mine has a 10 twist and shoots the 40gr bullets very well, I haven't tried anything heavier. It fairly vaporises magpies and rabbits out to 400 yards or so, which is as far as I've shot it. Also, I would absolutely fit a mod, the 204 has a very nasty crack akin to the 22/250. There is no issue using a mod in Ireland, north or south. I suspect it would be a very nasty round to shoot with a muzzle break, the recoil is non-existent, there are only down sides with a muzzle brake on a calibre like that.

I guess a re-barrelling job with a good name barrel is going to cost 800-900.

Given all the bits and bobs you want to add, I would not bother re-barrelling the Remington, I'd sell it and put the cash towards a full blown custom on a Stiller Predator action or the like....

ah cheers, im now looking into it, what barrel make would you recommend? and with your 10 twist barrel how does it handle 32 gr bullets?

cheers charlie