Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold Smoked Venison

Cold Smoked Venison

1kg Loin, 1 cup salt, 3/4 cup brown sugar, pinch of Prague #2, 3 tea bags of red berry tea leaves.

brined for 8hrs, smoked for 10

smoked one, ate the other unsmoked.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Changing the subject but have you made a complete recovery from the Lymes.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Changing the subject but have you made a complete recovery from the Lymes.
    Not really but I can live with it, still on pills everyday to combat the shakes and sweats.

Managed the Stag and Hind season without a bother but telltale signs are telling me I need a break now though.

The best way to describe it is that the tanks never seem to run at full capacity. A couple of nights on the drams and I'm buggered for weeks.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

That looks good & smokey! Cn I ask, did you hang dry it after brining before smoking or just have it 'carpaccio' style.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Legolas View Post
    That looks good & smokey! Cn I ask, did you hang dry it after brining before smoking or just have it 'carpaccio' style.

Thanks
    carpaccio all the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gliballs View Post
    carpaccio all the way!
    I think it looks exceptionally good Dan. If I could throw my twopenneth in RE the Cure#2, the nitrates and nitrites in the cure are combined to ensure a long period of dissipation before consumption, in something that's had such a short preparation time, I personally would have left it out as 18 hours isn't really enough time for it to break down. Please don't take this as any form of criticism, far from it.

Dan, looks great. How much water for the brine?

Need to get the smoker fired up....
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Just to dig up an old thread, I'm going to do this again, 4 hrs brining this time, a touch too salty last time.

A good sized chunk of backstrap, some salt, a pinch of Prague powder and 3 red berry tea bags.

After a rub in the dry cure

4hrs later the cure has taken out some of the moisture, it now feels like a medium rare steak. The salt is pink from the red berry tea leaves.

Its now in the smoker set for 8 hrs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
    Last edited by Dan Gliballs; 16-08-2014 at 21:53.

looks Grand, keep some back for my visit!