Thread: mincers

mincers

thinking of getting an electric mincer, the manual one is a pain in the arse. i want something that will do a couple of deer a month or so and will be good quality. anyone got any ideas?

Re: mincers

Quote Originally Posted by pete evans
    thinking of getting an electric mincer, the manual one is a pain in the arse. i want something that will do a couple of deer a month or so and will be good quality. anyone got any ideas?
    Have you tried Julian Clarey

is that a recomendation sailor? or should i stick to the manual and get julian to do it for me

If you're not in desperate need then keep an eye on Lidls specials.

I bought an electric mincer for about 40, 5 years ago and it's still going strong.

One piece of advice when buying... take a look at where the mincing blade slots onto the mincing shaft. The blades are made of steel, but the shaft is made of aluminium (well mine is). The blade may eventually wear the shafts spigot round.

I had this happen relatively quickly with mine. I just drilled a couple of holes through and made couple of locating pins. It's worked brilliantly since then however

Jo

Pete,

I've killed two cheap domestic mincers in 18 months by processing deer - their small wattage motors overheat very quickly and it's easy to over stress them unless you cut up the venison into quite small pieces first. The noise is a pain too - I wore ear defenders if I had meat from more than one deer to mince up.

I now have a E.L Young No.12 mincer - they're about 300 new I think but I picked mine up hardly used on Ebay for 102. It has a nice quiet .75hp motor and is so geared down, I reckon it would mince the deer whole

Adam.

I use a 'Buffalo' mincer which I got new off ebay for just over 100 which was bloody cheap!
    They have some on there now (item No. 150381999746) but they can be found cheaper. Nisbetts still do them new + all the spares and accessories.
    They have a 1hp motor, reverse gear and can mince 230kg per hour!! I've minced over 2 tons of meat now with mine and it still looks and works like new. Small domestic ones burn out really quick and take forever to get the job done. They also transfer heat to the meat whilst doing so which is not good. I know it is a big outlay for some and may take some justifying, but it's worth it in the long run!
    MS

The Buffalo that MS recommended is rated to 230kg per hour for 339

I've just spotted this one (160383856880) which is rated to 113kg per hour for 110.
    It's also a Buffalo (although I'm not 100% sure it's 'THE REAL' Buffalo - I'm sure others would know)

Half the amount of meat per hour but a third of the price!

I guess you have to weigh up just how much you are likely to put through it at any one go.

Jo