Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best hill boots

Best hill boots

Right loons,
    In your opinion what is the best hill boots for stalking in the Scottish wilderness. .?
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by cssports View Post
    Right loons,
    In your opinion what is the best hill boots for stalking in the Scottish wilderness. .?
    Cheers
    I do a lot of hill walking as a hobby and to be honest find the best fit first before getting hung up on a make. Try a good outdoor shop with a good boot room and staff who know how to fit them. My partner swears by Meindl as they do womens fit but mine are Raichle which are now Mammut. Look for one piece and preferably three season boots.
    iain.

Quality boots - whether they be Lowa, Meindl etc. Only opinion of other's that matters - ie is the boot well made, does what it says it does and has good after sales service.

The rest can only be down to you - because the single most important feature is that it fits you. The best quality boot in the world is worse than useless to you if it cripples.

Personally I wear Lowa. Great quality and they fit me. I also like higher leg for the additional ankle support and burn crossing depth. Meindl seem great - but cant get a comfy fit for me. Harkila seen variable but again dont fit me.

And so on.

Pick quality then search for fit.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Hi,

I have had hunter walking boots which were no good, then went and got a pair of Le chameau mouflon, but only lasted about 2years had a couple of now. Think the leather too soft for Scotland. So I now have a pair of meindl drove plus. They are great boot.

Hope this helps.

Have had most makes at one time or another ,but the hardest wearing longest lasting have been without a doubt ha Raichle, uncomfortable to begin with and took a bit of breaking in, but now like a pair of slippers, they are are a bit heavier than some of the competition,and good rigid sole if your doing stuff as serious as needing a pair of crampons.

Have a look at Blackislanders found them to be very comfortable high boots (8") and able to withstand beating on the grouse moors, pheasants, stalking etc. without leaking. They are coated in a durable rubber which makes them almost maintenance free, just a quick wash under the tap and occasional Gwax on the exposed leather. Most of the keepers round my area use them.

Altberg in Richmond do a very similar version and I think they do various fit options.

Willie

Is there any way of stopping water getting in over the top of the boot.
    I was constantly going in to swampy ground over the top of my boots when I was in Scotland last time.
    How about if I tape tightly the bottom of my gaiters to my boots, like the WW1 British tommy with his putties?????

Quote Originally Posted by accurate View Post
    I do a lot of hill walking as a hobby and to be honest find the best fit first before getting hung up on a make. Try a good outdoor shop with a good boot room and staff who know how to fit them. My partner swears by Meindl as they do womens fit but mine are Raichle which are now Mammut. Look for one piece and preferably three season boots.
    iain.
    This is good advice. I have had most brands over the years, my personal favourites were Lowas or my current Hanwags. Don't forget good insoles, socks and gaiters (Outdoor Research Crocodiles are unbeatable) are really important too. Also, don't forget to look after your feet. Glyn

I was out at the weekend and was told by the head stalker to avoid any with a slope on the heal .He called them dead mans boots .So look at the heal it needs to be sharp and chrisp.

I have had Meindl Dovre Extreme for a while now. Never once let any water in whatsoever, I do not wear gaiters, just Harkila pro hunters done up tight at the bottom. Also second to none, IMO, support for ankle.

I got mine from here.

Meindl Dovre Extreme GTX - Tredders Shoes

They did me a bit of a deal if I remember rightly too.

Cheers