Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Roe bucks out of season for crop protection

Shooting Roe bucks out of season for crop protection

Some advise please: One of my landowners is a vegetable grower and now has serious crop damage to the cabbages from deer (Muntjac and Roe) and suffering substantial financial loss as a result.
    Apart from getting his request and permission to shoot all deer, including Roe bucks (Currently out of season) in writing, are there any other legal obligations or boxes to tick?

(Btw, I am aware of the fact that it would be counter-productive to shoot any mature, dominant roe bucks now, as it would simply lead to an increased population of young Roe bucks later on)

Thank you for any advice /comments.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Assuming you shoot them in the act of eating the crops and your acting on his behalf then no,its in the deer act somewhere.

up here in Scotland you can shoot male deer any time off the year if they are doing damage in enclosed ground or are damaging crops without having a out off season licence. SNH give you advise on this matter, could not tell you who to contact in England sorry
    Last edited by midge; 13-02-2014 at 20:27.

How about this thread Section 7 query and notice you are post 2 on it, i think the thread answers most of your questions
    Cheers
    Richard

WO HOLD ON! shooting an uninjured deer out of season is breaking the law without specific authorisation in Scotland, England and Wales. That's why we have open seasons to play with!

The SNH authorisations in Scotland is explained here:
    Authorisations - Scottish Natural Heritage

The situation in England and Wales here:
    http://www.thedeerinitiative.co.uk/u.../guides/91.pdf

Be warned though the S7 'farmers defence' is just that, a defence you may have to use in court to defend your position for shooting a deer out of season. Anyone fancy the costs of defending their position against a private prosecution by the RSPCA???
    Last edited by Paul at Fechan; 13-02-2014 at 21:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul at Fechan View Post
    Be warned though the S7 'farmers defence' is just that, a defence you may have to use in court to defend your position for shooting a deer out of season. Anyone fancy the costs of defending their position against a private prosecution by the RSPCA???
    Exactly that!
    Cheers
    Richard

He has permission in writing from who? Natural England? There is absolutely no welfare issue with shooting male deer at any time of the year.
    I would suggest that you discretely do what needs to be done.
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Paul at Fechan View Post
    WO HOLD ON! shooting an uninjured deer out of season is breaking the law without specific authorisation in Scotland, England and Wales. That's why we have open seasons to play with!

The SNH authorisations in Scotland is explained here:
    Authorisations - Scottish Natural Heritage

The situation in England and Wales here:
    http://www.thedeerinitiative.co.uk/u.../guides/91.pdf

Just to add to that.... authorisation to shoot out of season will only be granted once all other options have been exhausted.

I find it quite worrying that so much wrong advice is offered on this forum.... You can't just go shooting deer out of season and then claim farmers defence unless;
    1. You are a farmer (or have it in writing that the farmer will back you up if the brown stuff hits the spinny round thing)
    2. You have tried all other means to prevent damage
    3. You only shoot them in the area that the damage is being caused
    4. You have the relevant authority from SNH or DI

You could do as MS suggests, do it discretely.... but then again you could have done that without announcing it on here
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    He has permission in writing from who? Natural England? There is absolutely no welfare issue with shooting male deer at any time of the year.
    I would suggest that you discretely do what needs to be done.
    MS
    I think you meant to say 'discreetly', but if you do or advise this then you are very much on your own so the inadvertent use of the word does apply. I'm with Paul F. here, and would be the first to report anyone I found doing this. The onus would then be on the perp to produce the proper official written authorisation, or if not to plead his cause.

There are just too many examples coming up on SD lately of dodgy interpretation of wildlife law which might be taken as gospel. I hope the collective experience here will wade in to condemn stupid advice of this kind whenever it's posted.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    There are just too many examples coming up on SD lately of dodgy interpretation of wildlife law which might be taken as gospel. I hope the collective experience here will wade in to condemn stupid advice of this kind whenever it's posted.
    Agree with all of the above and add that a simple call to your shooting organisation will confirm or otherwise the validity of the advice obtained from this or any other forum.