Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Certificate in Knowledge of Policing ( CKP )

Certificate in Knowledge of Policing ( CKP )

I know the Met police have this in place, South Wales have also implemented this, has your local authority implemented such a scheme ?

Essentially from what I can gather , you pay 1,100 to do a course about Policing, just so you can APPLY for a job in the force.

Personally I think it's just wrong, as people who are poor and from harsh backgrounds struggling to make ends meet can't even apply now, but someone who is well off and may be less suited for the job can

Any opinions ?

(This thread isn't to bash the police as a whole, so lets be civil and not get it locked ey )

If it is, it must be something new.
    When I joined I saw an advert and applied for the job.
    I was then called forward and after a series of interviews was selected and then subject to passing through the Police Training School got the job.
    The initial interviews were a bit unusual I must say.
    I think one of them was specifically aimed at me as I had just been demobbed, the others were educational and life style type interviews during one of them I had to do a crossword within a certain time but wasn't told the time allowed.
    It sounds a bit strange to pay money up front just to apply for a job.

Just come in within last few months. Mates been a PCSO and just accepted into next intake as a PC, luckily doesnt have to pay for it because he got accepted for the job before it was officially introduced, but still has to pass the course. The next intake has to pay for it.

Anyone wanting to apply for PC needs to have it , at the cost of 1,100. So essentially, we will only have well off Police Officers in the future. Just my opinion of course.

In Sussex you don't need the certificate if you are a special or PCSO. I suppose the government are arguing its a way of only getting 'dedicated' people to apply but in reality its just getting staff on the cheap (specials) or generating money for themselves through courses.

I don't agree with it but there are plenty of jobs in the private sector that you won't get a look in to unless you have various qualifications but this goes against what the police are supposed to look for in an officer, ie people from the community they police.

Seems to be the way things are going, just look at all the DSC1 threads about not being given deer on an FAC or permission to shoot unless you have the DSC1.

Not sure im with you on this Lloyd....

Ive paid out of my own pocket for CSCS, IPAF and Asbestos tickets making my application for a job favourable..

Theres lots of jobs out there that require certs of one kind or another..You dont see many adverts saying free certs on application..

What makes joining plod so diferent?
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Quote Originally Posted by pheasant sniper 1 View Post

Ive paid out of my own pocket for CSCS, IPAF and Asbestos tickets making my application for a job favourable..

Theres lots of jobs out there that require certs of one kind or another..You dont see many adverts saying free certs on application..

Precisely. Candidates will need to pass a medical and a fitness test as well. What's the problem?

http://www.college.police.uk/en/20024.htm

Quote Originally Posted by pheasant sniper 1 View Post

In an area when equal opportunities and fairness etc are so 'highly value'd', is it fair to effectively price certain elements of society out of the Police force ? EG, POSSIBLY people of lower class, single parents or just anyone living within a strict budget etc who may be stuggling to make ends meet.

That was my original question / thought really mate.
    Last edited by Lloyd90; 14-02-2014 at 08:42. Reason: Spelling / typo

I would agree with you Lloyd. Are we now going to see a precident set and similar fees paid up front before you can enlist in the forces. Both the police service and the fire service have gone to great lengths to make themselves as representative as possible of the communities that they serve and I see this move as being counterproductive.

I would see these certificates as being quite different to the proffesional qualifications that Pheasant Stalker mentions.
    Last edited by 8x57; 14-02-2014 at 07:27.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Before I left 2 years ago there was talk of it being refunded to successful applicants- I don't know if that still stands?
    .243 Weatherby Vanguard Synth /.223 BRNO CZ527 Synthetic
    .22LR CZ 455 Synth / 12G Stoeger 2000 / 12G U/O Bettinsoli
    12G Zoli SBS / .410 unknown Italian

I'm with pheasant sniper on this, if I totted up the value of all of my extra qualifications which are my 'unique selling point' it gets well up to around 10k, they are what makes me stand out from the crowd, there are people in my industry from all walks of life, by no means just the wealthy, this is not so different,
    there is also an increasing shift towards having a college course in public services before joining, these cost also but aren't compulsary, but folk are still happy to do them....
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink