Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Police dogs.

Police dogs.

Does anyone on here work with or knows anyone that works with the police dogs in the Avon and Somerset area?
    I quite fancy doning one of those padded suits and letting a police dog do his worst .... for my Childrens unit charity of course.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Does anyone on here work with or knows anyone that works with the police dogs in the Avon and Somerset area?
    I quite fancy doning one of those padded suits and letting a police dog do his worst .... for my Childrens unit charity of course.
    I doubt they'd let you to be honest mate. Health and safety and insurance issues etc. Normally I have heard they will have INTERNAL volunteers who are in the Police and interesting in joining the dog squad in the future, they go and do this and similar to get some experience and a taste for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd90 View Post
    I doubt they'd let you to be honest mate. Health and safety and insurance issues etc. Normally I have heard they will have INTERNAL volunteers who are in the Police and interesting in joining the dog squad in the future, they go and do this and similar to get some experience and a taste for it.
    Thank you for reply.
    I did wonder where the volunteers came from, never mind it was worth a try.
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Just pop on a padded suit and burgle your neighbours house. When the dog unit arrives sprint down the road. Once it's all calmed down and you get you solicitor you can tell them it was all in the name of charity!

I've had a suit on and to be honest it was one of the most terrifying moments of my life when I thought the dog was gonna get the leather glove/cup off my hand and tear my fingers off. I'm sure he knew what he was up to!

Hi Basil,
    Lloyd90 has pretty much summed up the situation.
    I have recently retired after 12 years as a police dog handler and latterly accommodated a couple of requests similar to your own. It was done without being sanctioned by management. All handlers do "unofficial/informal" training and the guys I am referring to turned up at the training venue and "helped" with the training.
    I think due to the current climate, even having a mate who is a handler, you might be struggling.

One of the things that is very difficult to replicate in training is the decoy/ bad guy/ missing person being afraid of dogs. When the dogs sense their fear it very often results in a response from the dog which can be unexpected. As a handler, you welcome realistic training scenarios! Wear a full body bite suit, not just a padded sleeve!!
    Last edited by bobthedug; 14-02-2014 at 21:56. Reason: in view of recent post

Thank you for your responses everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by bobthedug View Post
    Hi Basil,
    Lloyd90 has pretty much summed up the situation.
    I have recently retired after 12 years as a police dog handler and latterly accommodated a couple of requests similar to your own. It was done without being sanctioned by management. All handlers do "unofficial/informal" training and the guys I am referring to turned up at the training venue and "helped" with the training.
    I think due to the current climate, even having a mate who is a handler, you might be struggling.

One of the things that is very difficult to replicate in training is the decoy/ bad guy/ missing person being afraid of dogs. When the dogs sense their fear it very often results in a response from the dog which can be unexpected. As a handler, you welcome realistic training scenarios! Wear a full body bite suit, not just a padded sleeve!!
    agree 100% with this but if your were an employee that has come on attachment we do it then. Got to why you want to do it Basil. It does hurt and can go wrong and get bitten for real.

Quote Originally Posted by Steyer 6.5 View Post
    agree 100% with this but if your were an employee that has come on attachment we do it then. Got to why you want to do it Basil. It does hurt and can go wrong and get bitten for real.

`Got to why you want to do it Basil. It does hurt and can go wrong and get bitten for real`
    Fair question Steyer. I`m looking for the unusual and a bit different. I have to admit i`m not an adrenaline junkie but if don`t think of these ideas then who does?
    I`m looking for an idea to raise a few £`s for my charity .. no more, no less.

Have a look for a dog training club that deals with German Shepards there's one near me and they train as per police / security including "man work" could be an alternative with the same result if your serious about it
    Wingy

Having been bitten by a couple, (wife's a police dog handler, she says it keeps me under control...) Make sure you wear good protection! Have a look for a local shutzhund trainer, these are the civilian equivalent who train for competition, they are more likely to help than the police, my force don't even let other bobbies run for the dogs anymore, it has to be a dog handler or trainer.