New 260 Rem.

BRORA260

Bartlein 19 inch stainless 1 in8 twist, PES long can. Remington action with Timney trigger. Set up in a Joe West thumbhole stock using EVO bottom metal and AICS Mags. The scope is a Minox 6-30x 56 in Leupold mounts and bases. The stock is pillar bedded and action only Acra Glassed, finish is good old Tru-oil and the checkering is 18 line. My complete build time was 30 hours, Joe,s lead time was 3 weeks inclusive of a machine breakdown, his work is superb
Does it shoot?better than anyone I know can hold it. The scope actually shown is my old Zeiss but be assured the Minox now on it is serious kit. The group shown is 10 rounds 120 Berger h/point match. (witnessed).This was the first group shot after initial zero and no the barrel was not shot in, I dont believe you should need to shoot in a lapped barrel. Groups have improved even on that shown but that is down to some load testing to fine down the group load shown.

Attachments

• joe west 001.jpg
    joe west 001.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 228
  • joe west 002.jpg
    joe west 002.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 162
  • joe west 005.jpg
    joe west 005.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
The bottom metal and mags work very well and I would recommend them. The checkering is all my own work and took up 4.5 hours of the total build.
just finished a new rifle for a friend, stainless Lothar Walther on a black Remmy action, he asked me to bead blast the whole barreled action and hot black it, the action is a very dense deep black and the barrel is a dark slate grey and he is delighted with the effect, unfortunately I don't have any pics but I think my rifle is next for the treatment.

very nice. i would have the barrel and action coated in one colour just to finish it off

Great cartridge....one of my favorite.

Here is a 4 shot group from my Sako 85 varmint I shot this weekend:

photo[1].JPG

Hi, What sort of velocities are you getting with the short barrel, I am looking to re barrel my .260 rpa soon and was leaning towards a 20" barrel.

I built my last heavy 260 on an original (tang safety) Ruger model 77 and it loved everything from 95grn. to 139 grn. except 129,s of any make, it would go from 5 round groups like that one of yours to an open inch, never managed to solve it.
I sold that rifle and its I O R 4.5 -14 scope to a friend and it still does its bit for him, I said to quite a few people that I would not build another varmint /range 260, never thought I would build one as accurate as the Ruger, how wrong I was, but this really is the last, well maybe.
Have fun with your SAKO, with sister rifle TIKKA they really are the most under rated rifles built, I love them they can be seriously scary.

Who cares, when I press the send button they dont have time to get out of the way, seriously, with 120 grn. BERGERS, 2795 FPS average over the chrono. I dont chase velocity, more interested in consistent accuracy.
Been building and shooting my own rifles for 40+years now and have always had a 6.5 of some persuasion in my armoury, most underrated calibre ever regardless of what boilerhouse you attach it to.
We really are spoiled for choice nowadays with the great bullets,powders and primers available and modern barrels are simply outstanding and that includes Bergara, they do require a good few rounds through them to
reach their best but a virgin barrel is still good enough to stalk with from the start.
Hope you enjoy your new toy when it is built.

i SCRUBBED YOUR REPLY MESSAGE BY MISTAKE, I LIVE IN THE COUNTY TOWN, WILL GIVE YOU ANY HELP OR ADVICE SHOULD YOU NEED IT, TAKE CARE.

Hi, What sort of velocities are you getting with the short barrel, I am looking to re barrel my .260 rpa soon and was leaning towards a 20" barrel.

23.5 inch barrel as per my Gallery.

BulletBCPowderBrassFiringAverageStd devVariance
123 Amax0.510N160Nosler828874.419.3
140 Amax0.585N165Lapua127197.556.3

Regards

JCS

Last edited:
Thats good thanks, just didn't want to spend the money re barreling to find I have made a mistake and lost a lot of velocity. Cheers

Back