Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Calibre vs Cartridge on FACs

  1. #1

    Calibre vs Cartridge on FACs

    I have just applied for my renewal and I notice that the information requested on the forms is for the calibre of rifles held and those that the applicant wishes to apply for. I have provided the calibre (e.g. for my 308Win I have said .30 and for my 6x47 Lapua I have provided 6mm).

    If my certificate comes back with an entry in the calibre column of the cartridge (e.g. 308 not .30), what is the legal situation? The calibre listed doesn't exist and the rifle I hold is listed as the wrong calibre?

    I know it sounds a little pedantic, but it has always nagged at me that the police seem unable to accurately document my rifles...

  2. #2
    Just send it back for correction. Best to have .308/7.62. If you can get away with .308/7.62/.30 you're onto a winner.

  3. #3
    Where they say calibre they mean cartridge

    You might get away with .30 in the calibre to aquire, but the description of the rifles you hold must be accurate and should state the actual cartridge.

    Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    I have just applied for my renewal and I notice that the information requested on the forms is for the calibre of rifles held and those that the applicant wishes to apply for. I have provided the calibre (e.g. for my 308Win I have said .30 and for my 6x47 Lapua I have provided 6mm).

    If my certificate comes back with an entry in the calibre column of the cartridge (e.g. 308 not .30), what is the legal situation? The calibre listed doesn't exist and the rifle I hold is listed as the wrong calibre?

    I know it sounds a little pedantic, but it has always nagged at me that the police seem unable to accurately document my rifles...
    They have enough problems without people trying to be clever and mess them about.
    Why do you not state SPECIFICALLY what you have or require as the Police cannot be specific if you do not supply the full and correct information.
    I have had my FAC for over 60 years and never had a problem.
    When I had a .300 Win.Mag., a .30/06 and a .308 Winchester simultaneously I listed them precisely as they were, I did not act in plonker mode and list them as three .30 calibre rifles.

    HWH.

  5. #5
    I suppose that most police forces have technically been doing it wrong for years when you read the firearms acts and it mentions calibre rather than cartridge. Does it really matter though as long as you have the firearms that you require and they are clearly identifiable and listed on your certificate. After all there isn't even a single agreed way of measuring calibre. Sometimes it's measured between the grooves and sometimes it's measured between the lands.

    Listing the cartridge that a firearm is chambered for has to be a more sensible way of doing it that simply listing the between the groove diameter.
    So let sleeping dogs lie or perhaps they should just amend the wording slightly in the acts.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

  6. #6
    Correct Sir !
    It is the chamber size that matters.
    Imagine the laughter if you had a .220 Swift and you asked a dealer for a box of .22 bullets and he popped a box of .22 rimfire upon the counter, these being the most popular rifle cartridges he sells.

    HWH.
    Last edited by stag1933; 16-02-2014 at 10:20. Reason: Missed the letter A out.

  7. #7
    Wiltshire used to allow 22cf cant see the harm in this with 22 or larger calibres, would be easier on everyone wouldn't it , then if necessary list the cartridge on purchase, allows more freedom of choice and less paperwork if you change you mind

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by stag1933 View Post
    Correct Sir !
    It is the chamber size that matters.
    Imagine the laughter if you had a .220 Swift and you asked a dealer for a box of .22 bullets and he popped a box of .22 rimfire upon the counter, these being the most popular rifle cartridges he sells.

    HWH.
    If I walked into a shop and asked for a .220 bullets, I have defined the cartridge, so why would a the shopkeeper come out with 22LR cartridges? If I asked for 224 heads and if the shop keeper walked out .30 Cal heads I would probably take my business elsewhere as the shop keeper clearly has no idea what they are doing!

    The thing that confuses me is the lack of accuracy on the certificates. If the police wanted to know the cartridge, why not have that on the certificate? If their rational is that they they need to know the cartridge, then what does that tell the authority about risk (it is the load and not the cartridge that would dictate the energy).

    As an engineer whose entire life is spent dealing in accuracy and certainty, I have entered 6mm and .30 for the rifles I hold on my renewal, instead of 308 (which is not a calibre) and 243 (which also is not a calibre).

    Only time will tell if the Firearms Unit are happy with this. I will let you all know

  9. #9
    Nothing like making life difficult for yourself is there!!

    Please don't bother reporting further....I think the rest of us understand what is needed...

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by gerarddwatts View Post
    Nothing like making life difficult for yourself is there!!

    Please don't bother reporting further....I think the rest of us understand what is needed...
    Give it a rest and grow up!!!! Why when someone tries to get some clarity do people reply with these sort of replies.

    I will report back as I think that it is important to understand how the Firearms Units deal with this sort of thing. If they come back and say that I need to change the wording on my renewal then fine, I will accept it. But at least I will have the opportunity to question why.

Similar Threads

  1. *SOLD* Multi calibre cartridge case! Ideal for drilling or combination gun!
    By stalker.308 in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 30-04-2013, 07:59
  2. Chickens, Eggs and FACs
    By Wilf102 in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 13-01-2013, 00:47
  3. "Calibre" or "Cartridge"?
    By flytie in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 16-01-2012, 16:41
  4. A new bullet for an old cartridge.
    By Muir in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 19-03-2011, 01:02
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15-11-2010, 08:08

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •