Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Deer dog tracking register

Deer dog tracking register

There has historically been much chat and discussion about the setting up
    of a deer tracking register in the UK.

Some will no doubt remember it being mentioned in previous threads in the past.
    I remember there were a few lads from SD actively trying to get things up and
    running, unfortunately I can't remember who it was now.

Things seem to have gone a bit quiet on this front of late, however no doubt
    much toil has been going on in the background. ..

Anyway, is it up and running yet, and if so, no doubt many on the SD would be -

A) interested in hearing about it.
    B) interested in joining
    C) interested in using their services.
    Last edited by Cadex; 15-02-2014 at 10:52.

Cadex

The guys who were pushing this are still doing so. But, and I saw it myself, whenever it was discussed on here the majority of responses were ones of accusatory elitism, 'what do they know', 'we have managed fine without it for years', 'they shoot deer differently on the continent' and so on...

One of them even gave up his time to attend at a meeting to talk about tracking with dogs, then one or two who were at the meeting waited until the following day and came in here to slag him off, despite every opportunity to have questioned him at the event. Yet some input regarding deer damage (I think that's what it was about anyway) was met with praise, but not the same regard for recovering wounded deer?????? Can you blame them for withdrawing from the forum to discuss such matters?

I never once read a post from them suggesting elitism. They say it as it is. They know what they are talking about yet other members who have never owned a 'trained' tracking dog still questioned their motives and reasoning. To me that's like a plumber telling a joiner he is doing the job incorrectly...

I think when you can't get adults to see sense, its time to give up trying to convert folk. When a statement like 'shooting deer is different abroad' forms the basis of a counter argument and in fact its not about how deer are shot, but about how they are subsequently followed up when wounded, and this can't be grasped its time to give up with those sooo opposed to it.

Having said all that, I know there will be every opportunity to discuss it further at the Deerstalking Fair, as the VH and the KBGS are coming and the UKSHA will be high on their agenda...

Hopefully anyone who has a question regarding their plans will have the b*lls to pose it to them face to face, and not wait until the next day whilst hiding behind a keyboard!

(That's not directed at you by the way, just my own thoughts)

Great posts Brian and I for one will be at the fair and talk to the Tracking Dog chaps.Also on a different post you will see the DI are running a dogs for deer training event as part of there best practice.

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...t-Practice-Day

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    Cadex

The guys who were pushing this are still doing so. But, and I saw it myself, whenever it was discussed on here the majority of responses were ones of accusatory elitism, 'what do they know', 'we have managed fine without it for years', 'they shoot deer differently on the continent' and so on...

One of them even gave up his time to attend at a meeting to talk about tracking with dogs, then one or two who were at the meeting waited until the following day and came in here to slag him off, despite every opportunity to have questioned him at the event. Yet some input regarding deer damage (I think that's what it was about anyway) was met with praise, but not the same regard for recovering wounded deer?????? Can you blame them for withdrawing from the forum to discuss such matters?

I never once read a post from them suggesting elitism. They say it as it is. They know what they are talking about yet other members who have never owned a 'trained' tracking dog still questioned their motives and reasoning. To me that's like a plumber telling a joiner he is doing the job incorrectly...

I think when you can't get adults to see sense, its time to give up trying to convert folk. When a statement like 'shooting deer is different abroad' forms the basis of a counter argument and in fact its not about how deer are shot, but about how they are subsequently followed up when wounded, and this can't be grasped its time to give up with those sooo opposed to it.

Having said all that, I know there will be every opportunity to discuss it further at the Deerstalking Fair, as the VH and the KBGS are coming and the UKSHA will be high on their agenda...

Hopefully anyone who has a question regarding their plans will have the b*lls to pose it to them face to face, and not wait until the next day whilst hiding behind a keyboard!

(That's not directed at you by the way, just my own thoughts)
    As stated great post Sir
    regards pete

A well reasoned answer Brian.
    I thought things had gone a bit quiet on the
    subject, thats obviously the reason why.

Shame, because as much as I was always one of the first to question
    their methods, and indeed them question mine, I was as equally keen
    to support their overall vision.

Questioning one another's ways is what pushes progress ..
    I think the lads should return to the forum, as it's lost some of it spunk
    without them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex View Post
    A well reasoned answer Brian.
    I thought things had gone a bit quiet on the
    subject, thats obviously the reason why.

Shame, because as much as I was always one of the first to question
    their methods, and indeed them question mine, I was as equally keen
    to support their overall vision.

Questioning one another's ways is what pushes progress ..
    I think the lads should return to the forum, as it's lost some of it spunk
    without them.
    And likewise Cadex, what you say also rings true....

Questioning as you say is good. They have two main items on their agenda, the welfare of the deer and trying to produce good dogs fit for purpose (three things if you include better educated handlers! )

To many people out there who pull the trigger and don't care about what happens next.
    "it might be ok" or "it will not make it far before it dies"
    can't amagine going stalking without the dog.

On a game shoot, the dig handlers will spend a lot of time looking for a pricked bird,
    Why not a deer, sometimes it's a look at the shot site, nothing seen, must have missed.
    Good post Brian, I think the guys who were trying to set it up git fed up with the antagonism.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Dhu View Post
    On a game shoot, the dig handlers will spend a lot of time looking for a pricked bird,
    Why not a deer, sometimes it's a look at the shot site, nothing seen, must have missed.
    Good post Brian, I think the guys who were trying to set it up git fed up with the antagonism.
    Your right Rob. My mate told me this morning he just did a 6.5k track on a wounded red calf, leg shot. That prevented a lot of unnecessary suffering.

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    Your right Rob. My mate told me this morning he just did a 6.5k track on a wounded red calf, leg shot. That prevented a lot of unnecessary suffering.
    Shake his hand when you see him next from me
    Regards pete