Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Difficult to believe

Difficult to believe

Having been doing a bit of stalking in pretty crap weather lately, it still amuses me that people don't believe I can be warm, dry and comfortable while wearing so little above the waist.

In any and all conditions for active stalking, I simply use the Buffalo Special Six shirt. Nothing underneath, nothing over the top....even down to -10. If I plan on sitting out over a clearfell for several hours in sub-zero conditions, then I just throw my Buffalo Parka over the top. This two layer system will quite happily deal with sleet, rain, snow and even allow sheet ice to form over the top with no ill effects! The coldest I have sat out for was -14 for five hours and I was quite comfortable....and none of it is waterproof!!

I'm lucky to have the Harkila Pro Hunter Jacket, and while it is a cracking bit of kit, I just seem to leave it in the truck more and more these days due to its bulk and weight.

I meet very few people outside of the climbing fraternity who wear Buffalo, in fact the only stalkers I have met wearing it have been FC Rangers and I am surprised more stalkers have not yet discovered the benefits.

If you have an 'outdoorsy' type shop near you, then I highly recommend you check it out.

If you are intrigued, then this site describes how the system works much better than I can:

Needle Sports

I certainly agree that Buffalo Shirts are excellent pieces of kit HS, having worn one under the combat jacket since the 90's. Equally, I wouldn't wear one on it's own as not sure the material would stand up too well to getting caught on anything.

Quote Originally Posted by tjm160 View Post
    I certainly agree that Buffalo Shirts are excellent pieces of kit HS, having worn one under the combat jacket since the 90's. Equally, I wouldn't wear one on it's own as not sure the material would stand up too well to getting caught on anything.
    My current one is a few years old now and last year I caught it on barbed wire while struggling through the fence. It did make a small tear around 1cm across but the pertex seems to be somewhat 'rip-proof'. The hole has not got any bigger despite several washings.

I haven't got a Buffalo, but have the Montane equivalent which is their 'Extreme' smock. It's a great bit of kit!

This gives a bit of a demo of why they stay warm and comfortable while stalking in the rain:

Quote Originally Posted by Hunting Solutions View Post
    I simply use the Buffalo Special Six shirt. Nothing underneath, nothing over the top....
    I wear the special six as well, but usually with a surplus windproof smock over the top. I'm a relatively recent convert (6 months) but am forming the opinion that it is a very good thing indeed.

The good news is that a "special six type" item is now part of the standard army issue personal clothing system and so they are becoming available as surplus. They are still a little uncommon, I haven't tried one yet, but I'd be certain will become more common, and less costly, with time. So, if you want to try a special six for not a lot of cash then something like this is worth a look:
    British Army MTP Issue Lightweight Thermal Softie Buffalo Smock, NEW Size Med | eBay
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    I wear the special six as well, but usually with a surplus windproof smock over the top. I'm a relatively recent convert (6 months) but am forming the opinion that it is a very good thing indeed.

The good news is that a "special six type" item is now part of the standard army issue personal clothing system and so they are becoming available as surplus. They are still a little uncommon, I haven't tried one yet, but I'd be certain will become more common, and less costly, with time. So, if you want to try a special six for not a lot of cash then something like this is worth a look:
    British Army MTP Issue Lightweight Thermal Softie Buffalo Smock, NEW Size Med | eBay
    Amazing aren't they? It's not until you try it, on it's own, in really foul weather, that you appreciate what it can do.

It is really hard trying to get your mind to accept that you won't be wet and cold!

I have worn them in loads of countries for many years and they are great however you must make sure they are a snug fit! If they are too large they can not trap air.

I opted for the softie jacket when in the forces but plenty of guys had the buffalo tops.