Difficult to believe

Hunting Solutions

Having been doing a bit of stalking in pretty crap weather lately, it still amuses me that people don't believe I can be warm, dry and comfortable while wearing so little above the waist.

In any and all conditions for active stalking, I simply use the Buffalo Special Six shirt. Nothing underneath, nothing over the top....even down to -10. If I plan on sitting out over a clearfell for several hours in sub-zero conditions, then I just throw my Buffalo Parka over the top. This two layer system will quite happily deal with sleet, rain, snow and even allow sheet ice to form over the top with no ill effects! The coldest I have sat out for was -14 for five hours and I was quite comfortable....and none of it is waterproof!!

I'm lucky to have the Harkila Pro Hunter Jacket, and while it is a cracking bit of kit, I just seem to leave it in the truck more and more these days due to its bulk and weight.

I meet very few people outside of the climbing fraternity who wear Buffalo, in fact the only stalkers I have met wearing it have been FC Rangers and I am surprised more stalkers have not yet discovered the benefits.

If you have an 'outdoorsy' type shop near you, then I highly recommend you check it out.

If you are intrigued, then this site describes how the system works much better than I can:

Needle Sports

:cool:

I certainly agree that Buffalo Shirts are excellent pieces of kit HS, having worn one under the combat jacket since the 90's. Equally, I wouldn't wear one on it's own as not sure the material would stand up too well to getting caught on anything.

I certainly agree that Buffalo Shirts are excellent pieces of kit HS, having worn one under the combat jacket since the 90's. Equally, I wouldn't wear one on it's own as not sure the material would stand up too well to getting caught on anything.

My current one is a few years old now and last year I caught it on barbed wire while struggling through the fence. It did make a small tear around 1cm across but the pertex seems to be somewhat 'rip-proof'. The hole has not got any bigger despite several washings.

I simply use the Buffalo Special Six shirt. Nothing underneath, nothing over the top....

I wear the special six as well, but usually with a surplus windproof smock over the top. I'm a relatively recent convert (6 months) but am forming the opinion that it is a very good thing indeed.

The good news is that a "special six type" item is now part of the standard army issue personal clothing system and so they are becoming available as surplus. They are still a little uncommon, I haven't tried one yet, but I'd be certain will become more common, and less costly, with time. So, if you want to try a special six for not a lot of cash then something like this is worth a look:
British Army MTP Issue Lightweight Thermal Softie Buffalo Smock, NEW Size Med | eBay

I wear the special six as well, but usually with a surplus windproof smock over the top. I'm a relatively recent convert (6 months) but am forming the opinion that it is a very good thing indeed.

The good news is that a "special six type" item is now part of the standard army issue personal clothing system and so they are becoming available as surplus. They are still a little uncommon, I haven't tried one yet, but I'd be certain will become more common, and less costly, with time. So, if you want to try a special six for not a lot of cash then something like this is worth a look:
British Army MTP Issue Lightweight Thermal Softie Buffalo Smock, NEW Size Med | eBay

Amazing aren't they? It's not until you try it, on it's own, in really foul weather, that you appreciate what it can do.

It is really hard trying to get your mind to accept that you won't be wet and cold! :cuckoo:

I have worn them in loads of countries for many years and they are great however you must make sure they are a snug fit! If they are too large they can not trap air.

I'm a complete convert to them. Although I wear the Snugpack version.
I've used them for years now and wouldn't to be without one. In fact I have never got wet in it, admittedly I wouldn't head out into rain wearing it, but if it starts whilst out well so be it.

Very interesting piece of info, thanks folks. Never heard of anything similar before. Is it silent? Usually being silent is not relevant for climbing, etc but very important while stalking.

The British army ones are very reasonable priced on ebay...

Very interesting piece of info, thanks folks. Never heard of anything similar before. Is it silent? Usually being silent is not relevant for climbing, etc but very important while stalking.

Not very silent at all, but in saying that most of the noise it produces is very high frequency and so doesn't carry very far plus no clothing is really totally silent so it is just a matter of being careful. The noise is one reason why I usually wear a windproof smock over the top but to be honest it is just a matter of being careful which is what you have to do with any clothing.

When new they are somewhat 'rustly'. When they have been through the wash a couple of times they become extremely soft and quiet.

I have the snugpak version can't beleive how warm they are. Wore it loads last year and never felt the cold. Not been cold enough this year to wear it. Rolls up and has its own stuff bag so doesn't take up much room in your kit bag. Not cheap but we'll worth the money.

What kind of fit are these ?

I ask because I will have to buy online (no local stockists) and I'm 6' 4" with a 46" chest (devilishly handsome too ;) )

I am concious that they need to be a fairly close fitting garment to work properly so I suppose I am asking whether chest size is actual or quoted with a view of one or more base layers underneath.

Often I have to buy a much bigger size in the body to get arm length, but that defeats the object for this particular garment.

So, is a 46" for a 46" chest or does it have some 'slack' ?

I wear the British Army softie jackets and trousers under my hunting clothing (British Army Windproof smock and soldier 95 combat trousers) over here in Norway during the winter, as it's underneath it keeps the sound down and I have been sitting out in weather as low as -20!

My contact lenses did freeze to my eyes though so I had to leave earlier than I wanted which was disappointing :lol:

Back