Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is the .22lr so prone to ricochet?

Why is the .22lr so prone to ricochet?

Reading through Sporting Rifles book and see that it says that the .22lr is very prone to ricochet, but the .17hmr isn't. Being a ballistics novice, could someone explain fairly simply why two rimfire rounds that are relatively similar in size have such different ricochet characteristics please and what makes one round more prone than another.

Thanks.

not being rude just waiting for someone ,better educated than me , give it a minute.aw i nearly said that.
    Last edited by AN DU RU FOX; 15-02-2014 at 21:12.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_magicfingers View Post
    Reading through Sporting Rifles book and see that it says that the .22lr is very prone to ricochet, but the .17hmr isn't. Being a ballistics novice, could someone explain fairly simply why two rimfire rounds that are relatively similar in size have such different ricochet characteristics please and what makes one round more prone than another.

Thanks.
    the HMR travels fast enough to fragment on impact, the .22lr travels much slower and weighs nearly three times as much ( 40 gr vs 17) so doesn't have the speed to break up, so bounces off

Pete
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Also 17 hmr is jacketed, hence more frangible compared to the soft lead .22 rimfire subs.

That you ask is good and of credit as it demonstrates you've thought about this critical aspect of using a .22 rimfire in-the-field.

Poorly considered shots that fail to evaluate backstop, angle and composition of that surrounding intended target have, in my opinion, far greater potential to send a lump of led into some distant farm house window or worse than a considered elevated shot at squirrel where c10" of chestnut is the wicket keeper.

In summary its possible to spend a lifetime shooting .22 target rifle and have zero understanding of this wonderful round's desire to head off piste at the merest hint of a morning dew.

K

I know people will disagree with this but I made a choice a long time ago that 22lr is a range round. 17HMR is what I use in the field for bunnies, if I need to go subsonic I use my air rifle.

22lr is cheap to shoot, that what makes it appealing, but safety should never have a price on it. Ricochets are unpredictable in their occurance and outcome why risk it!!

Quote Originally Posted by The tramp View Post
    the HMR travels fast enough to fragment on impact, the .22lr travels much slower and weighs nearly three times as much ( 40 gr vs 17) so doesn't have the speed to break up, so bounces off

Pete
    Thanks very much, that makes sense now. Slow, heavy rounds bounce, faster lighter rounds disintegrate.

Does this tend to apply if full-bore too, ie a slow loaded, heavy .308 would be more likely to ricochet than a faster, lighter .270 for example, or does the .308 round just have enough energy even when going (relatively) slowly to deform sufficiently on implact to not ricochet, or at least not commonly?

i would use a .204 in places i would not use a 22 lr yet the police still see it as a go to starter round.the .204 using 26 grn barnes varmint grenades is about the safest round i have ever used.

I use CCI segmented in my 22 LR. Only had one bouncer in over a thousand rounds, compard to a 40 grn sub sonic that is brilliant.

not a lover of the 17 HMR had one for years, but safer than a 22 40grn sub by a long chalk, but noisy and wind is a problem over 70 yds in my experience, but a very fast safer round

i never use subs HP now, just try to minimise a bouncer whenever I can, the only downside is cost, but that's what it is, I'm happy with the segmented round and the noise is is fine.

i still look at a 204 it does appear to be a decent piece of kit, never really had a chance at using one, the 22 WMR I have, is a cracking round out to a 100, if it ain't broke why change it.

ATB

phil

Quote Originally Posted by philip View Post
    I use CCI segmented in my 22 LR. Only had one bouncer in over a thousand rounds, compard to a 40 grn sub sonic that is brilliant.

not a lover of the 17 HMR had one for years, but safer than a 22 40grn sub by a long chalk, but noisy and wind is a problem over 70 yds in my experience, but a very fast safer round

i never use subs HP now, just try to minimise a bouncer whenever I can, the only downside is cost, but that's what it is, I'm happy with the segmented round and the noise is is fine.

i still look at a 204 it does appear to be a decent piece of kit, never really had a chance at using one, the 22 WMR I have, is a cracking round out to a 100, if it ain't broke why change it.

ATB

phil
    I used to shoot a 22lr all the time had 17's hate them, there over rated... now going 204 route, but I tried those segmented things, all I found was similar amount of ricochets but just 3 each time as apposed to only the one....