Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A little market research

A little market research

We have recently been thinking about introducing a new level of membership, and I had better say right from the off a paid membership. The figure we had in mind would be £6.00 per quarter/£24.00 per year or slightly less than 50P a week.

Now in answer to the eternal "what's in it for me?" question, I will try and explain the thinking behind it. First of all members would have some sort of star or button against their name a bit like the trade member button, that must be worth the money alone! There will be an area of the site that will be available to them only, their PM inbox capacity will be expanded, and any other little things of this nature that we can come up with and are physically possible IT wise.

Part of the money will also go to our bursary fund, the future of stalking rests with newcomers and they now more than ever need qualifications.

Oh and did I mention there will be giveaway prizes. It is hoped that we can buy the prizes from our trade members thereby causing a sort of money-go-round, members pay their dues, we buy prizes from the trade members, they pay their trade membership and the site carries on. Now obviously what these prizes will be would depend on the number of the new level members, we were toying with the title "Premium member", the more members the more money in the pot, the more benefits all around.

The amount of interest this raises will of course decide the fate of this project, as it will take a fair bit of IT and Admin work to set it up.

So what do you think?

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

I'd happily sign up. SD badges in real life?

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Account Suspended
    What will happen when the "star or button" gets pushed?

John

I'm sure you'll get positive and negative feedback, but sounds like a cracking idea to me... It would be nice to be able to give something back via the bursary

Use of Bank Transfer for membership payment could make everyone's life easy as it's instant and there are no fees ala PayPal. Personally, I'd be happy to pay an Annual Fee as it's then done for 12m and one less thing to worry about.

One thought: Would you allow folks to join anytime during the Membership year, and charge them for the months remaining? This would give you, the Admins, less of a headache at Renewal, as everyone then pays the same for the following year's membership.

Cheers
    iain
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means youíve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

I'd certainly be interested. It's a lot less than most magazine subscriptions.
    Definitely more interesting than most mags too.

I'm not sure I follow the logic and I certainly see an increase in the level of admin required. I would expect 'star' members to make accurate and well researched comments on topics and stand by them. There's some absolute rubbish posted at the minute on complex questions and no attempt made to remove the rubbish or direct folk to the actual authorities on the question.

Regards

JCS

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    I'm not sure I follow the logic and I certainly see an increase in the level of admin required. I would expect 'star' members to make accurate and well researched comments on topics and stand by them. There's some absolute rubbish posted at the minute on complex questions and no attempt made to remove the rubbish or direct folk to the actual authorities on the question.

Regards

JCS
    It's a forum. Everyone is entitled to their opinion even if they are wrong. Sometimes the most enlightening thing can be seeing quite how many people misunderstand some simple things.

The set-up takes a little doing, but the stars, renewals, billing etc can all be done automatically using the vbulletin with add ons.

I'd quite like a reputation system where members could 'like' helpful posts.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post

Regards

JCS
    Uncomprehending? ... Me too JCS.

Looks like the riff-raff wouldn't even get access to these "high quality" comments anyway.... Or should I say, the paying elite will talk among themselves and the casual visitor and the hoi polloi will be left with their own lesser interactions on the website... or... just use it as a reference archive.

Or am I really just not getting the point?

Www.thefreestalkingdirectory.co.uk or http://www.thenotsofreestalkingdirectory.co.uk ?

I've seen this happen before, unfortunately it leads to elitism and eventual failure of the site.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

This is a useful site, but I wouldn't pay to use it.