Three toed roe deer?

Tartan_Terrier

image.jpgJust been out on a recce on my new permission and spotted this unusual roe footprint. Has anyone here seen this kind of thing before? Any ideas on what it is? An overgrown dew claw, a birth defect or something else?

Cheers
T_T

Last edited:
Did you just find the one slot like that or was the abnormality repeated in all sets you found?

Novice

I took photos of similar slots both nearby and at the other end of the field, so I think it's unlikely to be one on top of the other.

Looks like its almost a 'double foot' so to speak. Right hand side of the main foot print looks like another print. Would be interesting if you ever catch up with the culprit.

Looks like a roe print. not every one will be perfectly placed. some may just left,right behind. Quite common for the calf to follow in the mothers footsteps

image.jpgimage.jpg

Another print from the same track as the first, plus an older print from the other end of the field.

Last edited:
At trot 4 legged animals 'track' that is where the rear foot lands where the front foot has taken off. That remains the most likely explanation until you kill the freak............

:D

This is not a case of polydactylism, just superimposed prints. In the first photo the 'extra' digit is on the left and in the other it is on the right!

Back