Thread: starting the next generation

Thumbs up starting the next generation

I have started another youngster on the road to stalking .
    He took his first Doe today.
    Some time ago this young fellow shyly asked If I would take him out and teach him a little about stalking
    This has been ongoing for the last two doe seasons whenever he and I have had time he has had exams and family seem to have got in the way quite often .
    He has often said he enjoys just being out and watching even though I have offered to take him to the range ne has refused saying he wants to learn more.
    He has shown great interest asking how to tell different ages and sex etc,
    Today early morning stalk I shot a doe lung shot she ran 30 yds and stood looking sick and a second shot to the heart finished the job ( for some reason there was a clean hole through the lungs the bullet hand not expanded) he watched with interest through the whole episode again asking questions about it I explained as best I could about not rushing and panicing to take a second shot but to stay still and keep cool .
    I decided it was time for him to experience taking a shot so having just taken delivery of my second Hardy 1V moderator I took him to the range for a zeroing session with new mod and other rifle.
    Satisfied with zero I asked him to take a shot or two as my eye was tired (lie)

He had three shot prone 3 off sticks all good
    next step was to call at one of the good areas on the way home
    'You cannot leave rifle in the car so you carry that one and I'll take this one you may as well put the magazine in just in case' says I
    After a long stalk we got into a group of five roe milling around it was not easy as we had to wait quite a while for the chosen one to stand broadside clear of the others.
    He steaded himself and took the shot removing the top the heart at 90yds the doe dropped on the spot.
    I was a moment of satisfaction to us both.
    After when asked about first shot fever he said not a problem or I would not have done it you have told me often of people who panic .oh how I wish those new to stalking would show the patience and maturety of this young fellow.
    A new young stalker is born

Quote Originally Posted by roedeerred View Post
    I have started another youngster on the road to stalking .
    He took his first Doe today.
    Some time ago this young fellow shyly asked If I would take him out and teach him a little about stalking
    This has been ongoing for the last two doe seasons whenever he and I have had time he has had exams and family seem to have got in the way quite often .
    He has often said he enjoys just being out and watching even though I have offered to take him to the range ne h

as refused saying he wants to learn more.
    He has shown great interest asking how to tell different ages and sex etc,
    Today early morning stalk I shot a doe lung shot she ran 30 yds and stood looking sick and a second shot to the heart finished the job ( for some reason there was a clean hole through the lungs the bullet hand not expanded) he watched with interest through the whole episode again asking questions about it I explained as best I could about not rushing and panicing to take a second shot but to stay still and keep cool .
    I decided it was time for him to experience taking a shot so having just taken delivery of my second Hardy 1V moderator I took him to the range for a zeroing session with new mod and other rifle.
    Satisfied with zero I asked him to take a shot or two as my eye was tired (lie)

He had three shot prone 3 off sticks all good
    next step was to call at one of the good areas on the way home
    'You cannot leave rifle in the car so you carry that one and I'll take this one you may as well put the magazine in just in case' says I
    After a long stalk we got into a group of five roe milling around it was not easy as we had to wait quite a while for the chosen one to stand broadside clear of the others.
    He steaded himself and took the shot removing the top the heart at 90yds the doe dropped on the spot.
    I was a moment of satisfaction to us both.
    After when asked about first shot fever he said not a problem or I would not have done it you have told me often of people who panic .oh how I wish those new to stalking would show the patience and maturety of this young fellow.
    A new young stalker is born
    Roedeerred firstly well done to you for what you have done with this young stalker you have shown him the way you do things and it must have sunk in .secondly top marks to this young lad well done on your first deer you won't forget this in a long time .its great to read story,s like this well done to both of you and hope you have many more outings in the furtre DJC

My nine year old can't wait to get his first. I still think he's too young to understand the taking of a life so will give it a few years, but it's great to see someone promoting the next generation.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

well done to the tutor and the student. Its nice to know the future is in good hands

Well done. No trophy you take will ever compete with helping a youngster take their first. You and that doe will be forever etched in the youngster's memory.

Brilliant
    We'll done to him, and to you.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Fantastic, well done.

Very well done!
    People's hobbies are more their measure's than are their jobs.

Congrats to you both . Unforgettable experience