A little market research

Overlay

HI John

Re bursary costs for new stalkers.

I am not a trade member, but I would be happy to donate an amount per annum to assist and help build a fund each year to create openings for training particularly how things are going with must have paperwork these days, another side or spin off could or would be to assist people in preparation and or experience for DSC 1 and advisory stalks pre DSC 2 and giving good stand fast advice on the stalking elements.

These three objectives would help build a good and solid foundation for new stalkers, not a free for all, but a helping hand to people wanting to learn, a bursary for DMQ and a non financial assistance for the the two levels open to new stalkers or wanting to learn more.

I would be more than happy to help new people starting off in the stalking world, take them out on learning stalking outings, guidance put em on the right track for equipment etc, without having to buy half the world stalking kit and find out after a year you don't need it all, a helping hand.

I'm sure there are plenty of site members who would contribute on or all three things and offer assistance in there own areas.

atb

phil

Hat's off to Phillip for reinstating this thread.

I would always encourage people to put back a little into our sport.

It is not a compulsory situation and if it's not for you fine!

John was only putting the feelers out and deserves healthy input.

I would gladly donate to this cause.

I have provided range facilities for many years so that stalkers are familiar with the procedure for the DSC shooting test.
Participants are not in a `foreign country` when the day arrives as they have already gone through the procedure previously.
These shoots are still held 3 times a year here in Cumbria on the third Sundays in April, June and August but I shall not be personally involved now as I am partially sighted due to Glaucoma.
Unfortunately a cure cannot be bought for this affliction.

HWH.

I'm all for putting money back into stalking to help out newcomers , but I think that £24 is quite a lot of money to ask people for en mass . This is a great site , Im really gratefull to use it and there's not many days I don't log on . But I'm not that fussed on a lot of competitions to be honest . I'm also a member on british blades and due to the fact you pay for membership on there you basically have two different forums , and it's a very unhelpful site because of it .
i know malc who part owns this site and I hope he doesn't look badly on this post , it's just my honest opinion . At the end of the day if even half of the members payed the £24 that's over £140,000 a year . That's a lot of of competitions for jackets and dsc1 's

Personally I thought some of the remarks on Jons original thread were a little short sighted and uncalled for.

There are some bloody good, kind and thoughtful members on SD and a good few have become great friends that I would not likely have made were it not for the site.

Not too long ago when raising funds for the British Heart Foundation this site and the generous members that offered stalking/sticks and Wildfowling helped raise over £5000... That speaks volumes for the majority of members on here.

Again personally I wouldn't mind paying a small membership fee as where else can I buy/sell firearms etc, obtain access to credible stalking through membership feedback. Travel the length and breadth of the country often staying at friends ive made houses for free and which I have reciprocated many times.

Funny enough it seems its always the same few whinging and whining yet them lot almost live on here...

Ultimately it was reasonable to put the feelers out and for what this site has done for me id happily bung a few quid in...

I think stalking, shooting, and reloading is already too money orientated - everything (worth knowing) I've learnt about deerstalking has been from lovers of the disciplines who've sacrificed their time to teach a newcomer with no motivation other than their own decency. Books and courses are or very little real practical use IMO.

I think stalking, shooting, and reloading is already too money orientated - everything (worth knowing) I've learnt about deerstalking has been from lovers of the disciplines who've sacrificed their time to teach a newcomer with no motivation other than their own decency. Books and courses are or very little real practical use IMO.

Well said sir.

I learnt almost everything from 1 very kind bloke , now a great friend . He wouldn't and never will charge me a penny . But when he's been stuck at 3 am I go out to help him , when he needs picking up from somewhere I go to help him , he's always welcome to stalk on my ground and the first pint will always be on me . Not many people left like that , but I hope one day I can pass my love of fieldsports on to someone else .

+1. Bunny doom, never a truer word spoken.

The world constantly evolves and changes at a breakneck speed sometimes, you can't beat good old fashioned qualities in some people, that's what makes it special and I guess it's that what makes you do the same when you reach that benchmark yourself.

Really difficult one here as I do agree with Bunnydoom but I would also be willing to pay something towards a bursary fund.

As I said on the original thread I would have no problems contributing.
The information and knowledge from people on here would never be found in magazines and books.

If the owners/admin earn a few quid out of it , well good luck and well done to them.

My twopence worth, if I may.

I have been involved in the running (as an administrator) of internet forums for the last ten years, and still frequent a number of forums ranging in a variety of issues, from sports to satellite TV and from cars to stalking. The most successful, widely used and time resilient forums have some sort of 'donor' scheme going on. The important detail in this is that there is no compulsory subscription scheme, no private sections of the forum and no additional benefits to paying members. They (amongst them I, in some) do it purely because they understand that there are costs involved (some of the costs might or might not be covered by advertising) and want to support the forum they enjoy.

The Stalking Directory is a very informative, interesting and vibrant virtual community that, like every other human community, includes a wide variety of characters with individual merits, vices and problems. Cutting some of them off from the rest of the community will -with almost mathematical certainty- render the forum bereft of a number of its vital ingredients. In other words, it will never be the same and it might lead to its demise.

Why not introduce a banner that will explain how much money is needed each month, how much we have collected (you see? I said we) and how much we are still short. Why not give incentives to trade members to donate or discount some of their merchandise for purchase by the forum administrators (if and when funds allow) and action/lottery it out to the members? Of course i have noticed that individual trade members often offer some of their merchandise on lotteries or heavily discounted to SD members anyway, which makes me even more hopeful that such an idea could work...

Just a very simple thought....:

About 12.000 members on the SD, maybe half of them are willing to pay 24 GBP, that makes .... GBP a year!

I think, we speak about big money getting involved!:idea:

The prizes for the drawings have to be something....:rolleyes:

I have seen so many good things getting downhilled by involving money, especially huntingwise, it would be a shame to see SD on the same route......

I learnt almost everything from 1 very kind bloke , now a great friend . He wouldn't and never will charge me a penny . But when he's been stuck at 3 am I go out to help him , when he needs picking up from somewhere I go to help him , he's always welcome to stalk on my ground and the first pint will always be on me . Not many people left like that , but I hope one day I can pass my love of fieldsports on to someone else .
Exactly the same here chap and I've met another old timer from the SD too (sorry mate) we took two complete beginners out on Saturday eve after giving them a brief for two hours sat am .all for helping newbie stalkers out and when I'm an old timer hope I can repay the generosity given to me .
norma

Personally I have learned quite a bit from members posting on SD and made some very good friends along the way including contacts for exchange stalking / shooting trips. I'd like to think that I've put a bit back in helping a couple of new comers to the sport and forum guiding them along their way. I wouldn't mind donating "X" amount to the site in order to help new comers or those less fortunate, maybe a percentage linked to H4H to get some of our injured service men/women out & about.
What I wouldn't like to happen is for members to start leaving the site or for the site to be split between those that do & those that don't
I don't know how John would manage it but I wish him and the other admin staff the best of luck which ever way they go
Wingy

Back