Thread: Real frustration

Real frustration

After some 6 years of nursing my partner I will hopefully soon be able to start applying for keepers jobs and get back into the job I love.
    I have 20+ years experience but I am finding that I am really up against it not having any certificates for deer,quad bikes etc.
    I have also found that I am too old to get any sort of training via the job centre for this with the exception of the ILA grant Paul at Fechan guided me towards ( and even that falls 100 short lol)
    Is it just me or are others finding the same problem and do I have any options other than applying and hoping for the best?

side effect of 13 years of labour im afraid .health n safety fascists gone mad.i have to dress like a knight of old to change plastics on a metal guarded moulding machine which low speed emptys in a metal tray.i have working at heights,crane licence ,PPE by the box .have to check machine guards ,overhead crane check,the list is endless b4 i even start working on my job.theres being safe and theres urine extraction .sorry perdix on the 7th day god created man .on the monday some pillock formed a health n safety committee.first aid assesed every year.the list is longer than shergars nose

I have numerous ticket for working in waste/recycling. 13 tonne shovel, compactor skips etc. fair enough you need training, but these tickets are costing 100's a pop. A local company h&s bloke wondered if the local HIV training outfit had a course for driving 4x4 on gravel roads...........they didn't . But next week they did, for 300 a man !

Quote Originally Posted by perdix View Post
    After some 6 years of nursing my partner I will hopefully soon be able to start applying for keepers jobs and get back into the job I love.
    I have 20+ years experience but I am finding that I am really up against it not having any certificates for deer,quad bikes etc.
    I have also found that I am too old to get any sort of training via the job centre for this with the exception of the ILA grant Paul at Fechan guided me towards ( and even that falls 100 short lol)
    Is it just me or are others finding the same problem and do I have any options other than applying and hoping for the best?
    The ILA is only a partial grant it isn't meant to pay for the training . You could always go to the bank and ask for a career development loan .
    After 6 months on the benefit system you can apply for job packages Ie driving licences, plant tickets, chainsaw tickets etc I know plenty out there that are in there 50s that get help through training.

You say you've been at the keepering for 20+ years if your knowledge is average on the deer side of things go and do the level one assessment it isn't a lot of money as Paul .
    on most of the estates you will require ticket after ticket, chainsaw, brush cutter, Quad bike, spraying tickets etc your best bet is to help out on a adhoc basis on an estate or rearing field ,pick up what's current and move with it .

Again on the deer side you can get into the contracting without to much hassle, depending on where you want to work, and the numbers and time scales you can work to,no of course your knowledge and abilities ,and again you'll require tickets galore .