Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: NV over Foxpro for calling

NV over Foxpro for calling

Ok, so a year after I nearly bought one, I've finally got around to ordering a Foxpro.

I'm also now running a pulsar n750 with nm800 illuminator.
    My question is, has anyone got any experience of how to best set out a Foxpro for use with NV?

Im planning on hanging it on a metal stake with a dead squirrel alongside and placing it around 75m from a highseat as I've slowly been moving all the unused high seats to the best foxing spots.

The main trouble I'm predicting is the hassle of scanning the areas as I don't have a handheld nv spotter. If I just sit looking through the pulsar at a narrow field of view near the caller, I imagine I'll have poor results with either foxes sitting watching a little out of view or with foxes rushing into view too fast for a shot?

I don't really want to have to take a battery pack and lamp at the same time.

Any help gratefully received

I used mine just sat on the ground average about 70/80 yards away from the ambush point and got big cans of cheapo dog food from the local pound shop and chucked the contents round a 20 yard area around the caller. then just sat beside the hedge and scanned every so often and quickly with a spotter or a red NM800 torch.
    Last edited by easypeasy; 17-02-2014 at 09:06.

Probably best not to play the caller too much. That way they MIGHT come in slower and find the bait giving you longer to spot them.

If you haven't got a spotter, make sure you only run the caller for a few seconds at a time. That should give you enough time to see the foxes before they reach it. If they do, you won't see them for dust, as the human scent thereon will send them over the horizon.

I'd agree not to let em get close to the call but recommend you get a spotter of some sort nv would be my recommendation, years ago I tried bait as an addition to my call but found this was of no use most of the time as your scent will transmit around anyway and they will usually stop and sniff when getting close. Spotting them early is the best guarantee to success I believe, unless you bait an area regularly, good hunting. C

Thanks everyone. Thing is, sitting out is my favourite pastime- I'm out up to 6 nights of the week at various times so for me to really utilise this Foxpro, it's going to have to be easy and not cost me a lot more money lol

At my disposal, I have a .223 with scope mounted lamp and battery-pack and a couple of coloured filters, a .243 with pulsar nv, a Bresser monocular (ok, I have got a spotter but the field of view is even smaller than the Pulsar), a truck, a Polaris ranger, aprox 10 high seats, many of which I bait in front of and plenty of patience

I can cope with charging a couple of sets of batteries each time but like I say, I prefer things to be simple.

If I sit out in the truck for calling then I'll probably sweep with the lamp on low with a filter on and use the night vision just for the shot.

Otherwise, I guess I can take the .223, scan with the lamp from the highseat and then clip it on to shoot.

I suppose the ultimate technique with what I've got, is to lamp with the lamp/battery pack from the highseat, then switch to the nv rig for the shot. But that does mean climbing a highseat with a remote, a battery pack, a lamp and a rifle.

I sometimes hark back to simpler days as a trainee when I just used to tuck up next to a pheasant pen with my shotgun and a few ancient BB's- still killed plenty of foxes ;D

Here's my two pence worth on the subject.
    Sell your lamp , filters and Bresser, and put the money towards a spotter. I use a Pulsar Recon 750 with a Marky T20 IR and bracket. The spotter gives the same range and field of view as my DFA75.
    As for the caller on the days it does work you'll need eyes in the back of your head as they come in from all directions. As Paddy said Only use it for a couple of seconds at a time, because they can come in bloody quick.

+1 for easypeasy ive been baiting spots with fish catfood on a regular basis and when you put more food out its suprising how quick there on it, so hardley use my foxpro

Quote Originally Posted by B&W FOX View Post
    Here's my two pence worth on the subject.
    Sell your lamp , filters and Bresser, and put the money towards a spotter.I use a Pulsar Recon 750 with a Marky T20 IR and bracket. The spotter gives the same range and field of view as my DFA75.
    As for the caller on the days it does work you'll need eyes in the back of your head as they come in from all directions. As Paddy said Only use it for a couple of seconds at a time, because they can come in bloody quick.
    Just bought a Recon 750 yesterday...package deal comes with additional IR...will give it a go....do you recomend the T20??

Cheers
    Grampian Guns (RFD)
    Independant Moderator / Supressor Suppliers
    ..........for those who like a quiet life !
    Our mission.......Customer satisfaction......plain and simple.