Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Copper Fouler

Copper Fouler

Seems my rifle is a fouler. I shot it at Bisley yesterday, 59 rounds down and it was orange (again) when I got it home.

300 passes with a nylon brush and two sessions with KG12 and it's gone. But 59 rounds to get it in that state suggests I am going to spend as much time cleaning as shooting...

I'm tempted to do an EBC clean, but tbh it's clean now, it's the rate at which it fouls that's the issue.

Any suggestions?

SD Regular
    In the old dyas some might have had the barrel ball burnished. Is this a new barrel or an old barrel? If the fouling doesn't affect accuracy I'd not be too upset. Although it may in theory affect pressure?

I am glad that the KG12 treatmenet worked as I bought some on the advice of other members here and used it on a Nagant revolver and it too seemed to make a difference.

It's not a new barrel. Accuracy was great until the fouling kicked in. First time I shot it four went through the same hole. Fifth was a flyer...

It may be that I get a few shots off before the fouling starts hurting things. Which may be ok for a stalking rifle and occasional stalking tests. No good for target work. It was too hot to touch on Sunday after a 26 shot string...(Running Deer).

Once thing I will say, is that it's a very tight barrel. No tight spots that I can feel when cleaning though. The rifle is pretty spotless, so feels newer than it's 1985 vintage.

Polishing or lapping are terms I'm aware of...but it cost me 450 with scope, sling and bipod, so I don't want to spend too much. I'm wondering if a deeper EBC clean might be needed?

For the record I'm shooting Nato Ball 7.62 GGG FMJ.
    Last edited by Toxster; 17-02-2014 at 10:28.

It could be the fmj ammo I notice more fouling with cheaper fmj than I get with smk's for example.

You our could try the tubb final finish/throat management bullets to polish the bore a bit?

Also so have you tried C2r? It's the best solvent I've used! It does copper and carbon. I still use kg12 specifically for copper purely because I don't like to rely just on one kind of solvent.

I've ordered some KG-2 Bore Shine....fingers crossed....

Quote Originally Posted by Toxster View Post
    It's not a new barrel. Accuracy was great until the fouling kicked in. First time I shot it four went through the same hole. Fifth was a flyer...

It may be that I get a few shots off before the fouling starts hurting things. Which may be ok for a stalking rifle and occasional stalking tests. No good for target work. It was too hot to touch on Sunday after a 26 shot string...(Running Deer).

Once thing I will say, is that it's a very tight barrel. No tight spots that I can feel when cleaning though. The rifle is pretty spotless, so feels newer than it's 1985 vintage.

Polishing or lapping are terms I'm aware of...but it cost me 450 with scope, sling and bipod, so I don't want to spend too much. I'm wondering if a deeper EBC clean might be needed?

For the record I'm shooting Nato Ball 7.62 GGG FMJ.
    at what distance are you getting 1 hole groups with nato ball? I would buy as much as you can carry and then go and get another lot if your rifle likes it that much !
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

I use KG2 to get rid of stubern carbon it's good stuff!

You might find this interesting, Forrest foamworks best for me.

Yeah seen that it's an interesting view point I've got to say! Anyone on here tried this?

makes sense I guess

sooo.....

on that note does anyone have a product they use that removes carbon but leaves copper specifically?

paul