Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moderator moderation! Problem......

Moderator moderation! Problem......

I have a small problem and i am thinking about a subtle change. I have a large calibre rifle with moderator for hill reds and the occasional roe at home, nice small ase ultra mod, no problem there then.

I have .243 with a T8 mod which is my go to rifle for everyday roe and the odd fox. Its a stunning rifle which shoots so well but with a moderator it is so unbalanced and therefore not as nimble or enjoyable to whip out of the cabinet and head straight out stalking (no slip required).

I cannot be bothered to spend 350 squid on a new light weight mod but contemplated just taking it off and started to weigh up the impact/reasoning given my specific situation. So here goes, thoughts welcome.

1. Personal ear protection - i use plugs anyway when out and about.

2. Noise & neighbours - not a problem, i don't have any neighbours.

3. Accuracy/consistency? - don't think so?

4. Comfort for carrying, shooting standing etc - big positive if no mod.

5. Shooting multiple deer in one stalk, is a non suppressed crack going to make that impossible?

I think i will take off the mod and use the rifle for 6 months and see how i get on (i will report back my conclusions too!). I am pretty sure i am missing the main reasons why i should use a moderator but the unbalanced feel is doing my head in at the moment.

Are there other members out there who choose not to shoot with a moderator? Why?

There will be soooooo many arguments for and against here, but from my personal experience, if you are protecting your hearing in other ways, ie, ear defenders, then the rest is all personal opinion.
    In different circumstances, deer will respond to shots from moderated and unmoderated rifles in different ways anyway, there is no hard and fast rule. Shooting in low cloud or fog tends to really confuse deer, shooting in open fields, they often can't pinpoint the origin of the noise if it's unmoderated as the sound resonates all around, there is an old train of thought that says of you want to get someone's attention, you should whisper, not shout........it's easier to hear where the sound is coming from if it is quieter. That said, loss of sight picture from muzzle flip etc, could limit your ability to follow up shots or get onto the next target in time without a moderator, but that all comes down to your ability and what calibre is being used....
    i have lately found that lugging heavy gear around is not all it's cracked up to be so share your feelings, and have been chopping and changing to see if going oldschool works better for my needs.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

I shoot a .243 without a mod - for the very reason you say (much, much nicer to carry around, much quicker and easier to handle, especially in woodland). Very happy with it - much prefer it to lugging my moderated .222 around (which is moderated for night foxing).

I don't even use plugs (though I may start).

Try it - you'll love it. I've even gone one stage further and started stalking without the bipod as well (usually when I expect to be taking the shot off sticks at shorter range). Lovely!

Well I for one have come full circle. like Mungo (in concept), I now stalk with a traditional Mauser based rifle in a walnut stock, unmoderated, and a 4x32 or 6x42 fixed power duplex scope of German engineering, and a simple leather sling, a set of shooting sticks and a roe/day sack for prone shots on the hill.

I can with such a nice light and simple setup, travel in much greater enjoyment of both weight, balance, and aesthetics, and interestingly, I am much quickly on the deer and squeezing the trigger than ever before..

I don't see myself going back, I'm staying ol'skool..backwards is the way forwards.

If it wasn't for the land I shoot on making a moderator essential I would not own one.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    I shoot a .243 without a mod - for the very reason you say (much, much nicer to carry around, much quicker and easier to handle, especially in woodland). Very happy with it - much prefer it to lugging my moderated .222 around (which is moderated for night foxing).

I don't even use plugs (though I may start).

Try it - you'll love it. I've even gone one stage further and started stalking without the bipod as well (usually when I expect to be taking the shot off sticks at shorter range). Lovely!
    Mungo please start and use some sort of hearing protection!
    i don't know if you're a young chap but take it from a deaf,moaning old sod that didn't wear any sort of hearing protection it will catch up with you in later life.........................................eh,wh at was that?

Quote Originally Posted by perdix View Post
    Mungo please start and use some sort of hearing protection!
    i don't know if you're a young chap but take it from a deaf,moaning old sod that didn't wear any sort of hearing protection it will catch up with you in later life.........................................eh,wh at was that?
    +1 Willie

Look at some of the posts on this site from people that suffer from tinnitus if you need to be convinced to wear hearing protection.

Thanks for the experienced based replies, i am surprised that "pro no mod" exists.

Reassuringly you all seem to completely get my frustration, decision made, mod is coming off, zeroing session on friday and heading out saturday morning for an unencumbered brisk walk/stalk!..... The harris stays though!

Very tempting to dispose of the moderator, wear good ear plugs and enjoy the enhanced balance etc. However as I always have my dog with me, the moderator (new lighter one) will have to stay, for the sake of her ears.

Thanks for your concern for my ears folks - I'm rather touched at the strength of concern!

I agree that I should take more care, and that it is not a trivial risk. I do use muffs/plugs when zeroing and shotgunning, and have started to carry plugs when stalking, with the aim of putting them in when I come to take the shot. That's the aim, anyway...

One observation for the OP: if you can, find a long barrelled rifle (24") to try. The difference in muzzle blast is astonishing. Clearly it will never be as mild as a moderated rifle, but it is substantially more pleasant than a short barrel. To my ears, my long barrelled .308 is quieter than my short barrelled .243.