Reloading load data favour.

michaeli

Hi guys

picked up some .308 Hornady 150gr BTSP interlocks at the show yesterday and while I have the Norma reloading Manuel and the lee one on its way I'm yet to buy the Hornady one (hopefully in a few weeks after payday)

can an any one send me the book (or yours) loading data for this round or if anyone has a PDF of the Manuel I could have ( don't mind making small donation to the site or charity etc if need be)

thanks
Michael

For the love of God. It's a standard 150 grain bullet. Use 150 grain load data.~Muir

Well thanks for your very nice comment. (Sarcasm I know)

I read on here and everyone goes on about don’t exceed maximum etc etc blah blah so I thought I would do the right thing and ask the nice people on SD.

I’m new to this so trying to do things by the book. And when the books I do read / information I have is so different of course I’m going to ask these questions, after all that’s what a forum is for.

So the data I have is. (All 150gr)
Sierra SPBT min 43.6 max 49.9
Lapua lock base min 43.2 max 45.2
Sierra HPBT min 42.2 max 48.5
Nosler 150gr min 42.5 max 46.5

So as you can see (from what I’m going from) there is a difference of over 4 grains between max's.

Now yes I will be working up loads and checking but if I know the max is 46 what’s the point of me loading to 49 only to have to take them apart.

So thanks for your comment but I will wait for a useful comment to come along.

Thanks (or not)

Michael

Last edited:
Interesting point actually. I'm looking to develop a load for a 150gr flat-based soft point for my 7mm-08, and all the load data I can find is for boat-tail rounds (and Barnes thingies, which are something else altogether). I don't know whether that makes any practical difference.

Well thanks for your very nice comment. (Sarcasm I know)

I read on here and everyone goes on about don’t exceed maximum etc etc blah blah so I thought I would do the right thing and ask the nice people on SD.

I’m new to this so trying to do things by the book. And when the books I do read / information I have is so different of course I’m going to ask these questions, after all that’s what a forum is for.

So the data I have is. (All 150gr)
Sierra SPBT min 43.6 max 49.9
Lapua lock base min 43.2 max 45.2
Sierra HPBT min 42.2 max 48.5
Nosler 150gr min 42.5 max 46.5

So as you can see (from what I’m going from) there is a difference of over 4 grains between max's.

Now yes I will be working up loads and checking but if I know the max is 46 what’s the point of me loading to 49 only to have to take them apart.

Thanks (or not)

Michael

Sarcasm, yes, but wait til you get your Lee Book. Most of the bullets listed are done generically, by weight alone, and generally speaking, that's OK.

So you're new reloading and you might want to get some things sorted in your head before reading too much differing data gives you a headache: All data is what the generating entity got on THAT day, with THAT LOT of powder and THAT bullet from THEIR gun. (pressure gun or otherwise) It is not an absolute, so worrying about where they got their MAX is a bit of a waste of time because you will determine YOUR max on your own. In the data you gave, note that the STARTING data is within about a grain. If you averaged all of the starting data and, as you should, began there, you will have no problems.~Muir

I know you weren't answering my question, but thanks, that helps. 34.9 to 39.7 grains of N140 it is then (which is what Mister Vihtavuori suggests for a 150gr Sierra MatchKing).

Sarcasm, yes, but wait til you get your Lee Book. Most of the bullets listed are done generically, by weight alone, and generally speaking, that's OK.

So you're new reloading and you might want to get some things sorted in your head before reading too much differing data gives you a headache: All data is what the generating entity got on THAT day, with THAT LOT of powder and THAT bullet from THEIR gun. (pressure gun or otherwise) It is not an absolute, so worrying about where they got their MAX is a bit of a waste of time because you will determine YOUR max on your own. In the data you gave, note that the STARTING data is within about a grain. If you averaged all of the starting data and, as you should, began there, you will have no problems.~Muir

Good solid sound advice. Dont over complicate things.

Nutty

Now that’s a better answer and makes more sense. I’m not doing anything till I get my lee book, again to double check. And yes too much reading / data can be conflicting.

So I guess knowing what I know I will start at 42 grains and go from there (and if I have to pull them apart then so be it)

My original post was aimed at anyone that might be able to give me the data etc and if not then I will go on without using a average of the data I do know.

I know it must be frustrating for seasoned reloaders but us newbie’s are the ones that are reading if you put an extra half a grain in you might blow your gun / face / next doors front room windows or whatever though. When it turns out that’s probably not the case (and I know that)

But it always nice to check etc

Thanks
Michael

Thanks (or not)

Michael

Well. Time to grow into the pants you want to wear. Sometimes you need to disassemble rounds. It happens.
As I said, we can't know, and the makers can't know, where MAX will be for your rifle and components. So don't worry about it. MAX is not something to strive for, it's something to be avoided. Instead of trying to get all the load development done in one sitting, stretch it out. I load 30 or 40 of a given charge and shoot them, beginning at minimum for a new rifle/load combo. It gets me comfortable with the rifle and helps me learn what it truly likes and dislikes.~Muir

(PS: Your welcome.)
(PPS: Or not...)

Yes, I know it's frustrating and confusing. Iwas there once and we had no Internet! But only your rifle will tell you what's going on. We can't. Read all the books and sift the common themes. Start low. I have had primers flatten with starting charges.~Muir

Yes, I know it's frustrating. But only your rifle will tell you what's going on. We can't.~Muir

Agree with that i supose i was looking for a range of what works so i have an idea at least or when im getting to the max. And yes i know its not always needed etc.

Thanks (and yes thanks)
Michael

Agree with that i supose i was looking for a range of what works so i have an idea at least or when im getting to the max. And yes i know its not always needed etc.

Thanks (and yes thanks)
Michael

MAX will find you when you least expect it. Be conservative in your approach. I am at the end of a Tikka/7-08 project. Hodgdon lists starting loads at 42.5 grains of Varget for a 120 grain bullet. Hornady has 40.5 grains. I started at 40.5 and am currently up to 42.5 and it's shooting great with no pressure. I may go higher but the accuracy I'm getting now is phenomenal and if it deteriorates, I'm going back to the earlier charge weight. When the weather is good enough to chronograph I'll know more. This is an example of how you sometimes need to feel yourself through the data.~Muir

Just use the starting load for any 150g jacketed bullet. Don't ever be afraid to ask for advice if you're not sure about something. We were all novices at it, at some point. Reloading is a learned skill, none of us were born with the knowledge of how to do it safely. Sadly, some of us seem to have forgotten that fact.

The thing newbees need to try & learn to ask is WHY? & HOW? - not WHAT? :coat:

WHY? & HOW? - both give understanding, & improve wider knowledge. :thumb:

WHAT? - gets specific answers (maybe) & specific knowledge that may not be applicable in your particular case. :-|

Michaeli - you had the data but didn't know how to interpret it. Do what Muir suggests (he REALLY knows his stuff) & try to understand why he says wot he does!

Ian

Back