Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Second test of HPS 7mm-08 ammunition (because I'm a glutton for punishment)

Second test of HPS 7mm-08 ammunition (because I'm a glutton for punishment)

Good morning everyone.

I went back to Bisley on Saturday to have a second, more conclusive test of the 7mm-08 ammunition that HPS loaded for me. Last time, group sizes weren’t great and results were a little random. So this time, I paid rather more attention to all the controllable factors. Specifically, I used proper front and back rests, shot five round groups, and left plenty of time between them to let the barrel cool down properly. Below are the results. Now before you jump to conclusions, here my own and a few notes.

• Top left is the first group. The first three shots are the ones closest to the bullseye (two of them are almost the same hole).
    • I then shot five rounds at the middle target, mostly to see how many rounds I could shoot before heat caused the accuracy to deteriorate. I’ve numbered the shots, and the answer seems to be that after five or six shots, the barrel really needs to cool down as the bullets start flying all over the place.
    • After letting the barrel cool right down, I shot the top right group, which is fine.
    • After further cooling, I shot the bottom right target. The drawn-in hole is because I put one shot into Toxster’s zeroing target that was just left of mine. Sorry Toxster! I must have momentarily drifted away as I was also listening to a short lecture from my right about how the Lee-Enfield’s stock affects grouping.

Attachment 38185
    So broadly, I’m happy enough with those groups. It’s clear that my rifle is best with the first two or three shots, when the barrel’s cold, which is absolutely fine for a stalking rifle. It’s also clear that this is probably the greatest accuracy that this rifle/cartridge is capable of with me at the tiller. So that’s the group to beat when I start reloading my own. In the meantime, these HPS rounds are fine for all practical purposes, and I have a clearer idea of what my rifle is capable of.

Now for some load development…
    Last edited by Pine Marten; 17-02-2014 at 15:29.

Oh, and what I forgot to say is that these are clearly good enough to use on deer. But I think that on Saturday, I'll still use the Federal Fusions. Stick to the plan.

When are you going to reload?? I have been immersed in 7-08 for the last few weeks and often wondering when you are going to assemble some of your own.~Muir

Shortly, don't worry! But just now, I'm going to do a little actual stalking, which is after all the real point of this. I'm in discussions with a French ammunition company about loading their proprietary bonded bullet, but before I go and put in an order of bullets and powder, I'd just like their view on my plan, since there is no available loading data on their specific bullet. I mean I'll probably just do this anyway, because I'm like that when I have an idea in my head, but I'd like at least a nod from these guys.

They are of course in France, which in my experience means that they don't have to answer emails. That's not just businesses. My friends and family across the channel are rubbish at responding too. Of course, it's also possible that the guy has other stuff on than dealing with some bloke in the UK badgering him about his pet project...

I hope you get your bullet but wouldn't it be better to try something a little less proprietary?

Data? Data?? WEE DOAN NEEDE NO STINKIN' DATA, MAN!
    What bullet weight? ~Muir

Well I've been well-meaningly strong-armed by the SD collective into reloading, and for good reasons. But if I'm going to do, I may as well have some fun in the process. I mean everyone told me not to buy a rifle with a silly full-length stock, no moderator and an awkwards chambering. Well now I'm sure they'll also recommend that I stick to tried and tested bullets and loads. But given that the bullets are no more available in the UK than the factory cartridges, for the same price and effort, I may as well choose something a bit special. So I'm going to try to load Freyr 150gr DL1s for hunting, and the 150gr Sierra MatchKings for practice (you can actually find them, and they're dirt cheap).

Here's a link to the bullets in question:
    Ogives 284 DL1 150gr.170gr. DL2177.50gr. - Munitions Freyr

The object, for purposes of your entertainment, is to shoot a roe buck with them in July and be, to my knowledge, the first person in the UK ever to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Well I've been well-meaningly strong-armed by the SD collective into reloading, and for good reasons. But if I'm going to do, I may as well have some fun in the process. I mean everyone told me not to buy a rifle with a silly full-length stock, no moderator and an awkwards chambering. Well now I'm sure they'll also recommend that I stick to tried and tested bullets and loads. But given that the bullets are no more available in the UK than the factory cartridges, for the same price and effort, I may as well choose something a bit special. So I'm going to try to load Freyr 150gr DL1s for hunting, and the 150gr Sierra MatchKings for practice (you can actually find them, and they're dirt cheap).

Here's a link to the bullets in question:
    Ogives 284 DL1 150gr.170gr. DL2177.50gr. - Munitions Freyr

The object, for purposes of your entertainment, is to shoot a roe buck with them in July and be, to my knowledge, the first person in the UK ever to do so.
    Atta boy , I've been following your progress from the beginning and I like your choice of rifle and caliber .

Good luck and good hunting AB

I must have momentarily drifted away as I was also listening to a short lecture from my right about how the Lee-Enfield’s stock affects grouping.

I like NS.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    I like NS.

K
    +1 but in short bursts
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Well. There's a good reason and one I approve of. As long as you have your motives so concretely defined I won't attempt to talk you out of it! I have used the 150 Sierra Game King in my 7-08 and like them, but I'm thinking it's a lot of bullet for deer so I'm switching to the 120 gain Pro Hunter @ 2900 fps. (+/-) I don't think a deer will fare well when one of these connects with it.~Muir