Thread: Urinating in the kennel

Urinating in the kennel

Since my Labrador had her first litter of pups two years ago she has been urinating in her bed, all of my dogs are bedding using wood shavings which seem to keep their coats in fantastic condition and they smell great. But this particular bitch has been urinating in her own bedding since her litter which is making the kennel smell very strongly. She did not do this prior to having pups. Her labour was fine and she had no problems so I don't know if this is a behavioural or a physical problem?

All of my dogs get lots of daily exercise so it's nothing to do with a lack of time out of the kennel/run.

Has anyone encountered this problem or have any ideas for a solution?

My terrier did exactly the same when the pups went, whilst she had the pups in the kennel with her she would take to the woods to do her buisness and wouldn't do it anywhere near the kennels.

The kennels have raised beds so I took hers out and placed one of those fish boxes on the floor with an old jumper of mine in it.

Stopped her straight away, she has to jump out the box to squat.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by woollyback View Post
    Since my Labrador had her first litter of pups two years ago she has been urinating in her bed, all of my dogs are bedding using wood shavings which seem to keep their coats in fantastic condition and they smell great. But this particular bitch has been urinating in her own bedding since her litter which is making the kennel smell very strongly. She did not do this prior to having pups. Her labour was fine and she had no problems so I don't know if this is a behavioural or a physical problem?

All of my dogs get lots of daily exercise so it's nothing to do with a lack of time out of the kennel/run.

Put a false lower roof in so she can get in to lay down but not be upright to urinate.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by woollyback View Post

Hi woolyback,
    i have the same problem with one of our springers and no matter what we do or how we try she just won't keep clean,
    she is now three years old and we are resigned to the fact that we can't keep her clean,
    what we do use now as bedding is wood chip pellets which we discovered be chance as we had a wood pellet boiler fitted, they make the same stuff for horse bedding, it has supper absorbent qualities and keeps her very dry and is very easy to clean up.
    if your interested they sell it at Scats and a company called verdo make it.

hope this help Tony

Thanks for the help. Also had a very helpful PM from someone giving me their experience of the same situation and it was a urine problem. I will get her urine tested at the vets and also try some of the suggestions above

All our Jack Russells do it, I think it's a territorial thing... "this is my bed" like when you got a glass in the school dining hall and breathed in it so no-one else would use it.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox