Thread: Proud dad

Talking Proud dad

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	421.8 KB 
ID:	38193Attachment 38189
    Well my little girl just loves being outside, be it playing in the garden, riding her bike or walking with the dogs, but most of all going shooting with her dad. At 3 years old she had a weekend camping and stalking trip with me in Scotland, as she makes so much noise it just turned into a walk with the rifle. While out she is always asking questions and wanting to learn, she can now identify a number of birds by sight and a couple by their call alone. Now a while ago I came across a Webley .410 bolt action for a good price (from Chris C on this site, thanks Chris). I cut the stock down and sprayed it her favourite colour, pink.
    At Christmas she got a double barrel cap gun from fur, fin & feather and has been practicing mounting the gun, muzzle awareness and safety. Last Saturday I planned to go and do a bit of squirrel shooting and she was keen to come along. So as she is now 4 years old and keeps telling me that's a grown up age compared with being 3, I decided to take her with the .410.
    With 12 gauge semi auto over the shoulder and her in tow with an unloaded .410 we set off through the woods in search of drays. The plan was locate a dray, point it out and position her so she could have a clear shot. I load her .410 and help her to take aim, she shoots the dray, then her gun is empty and safe leaving me and three shot to deal with any runners from the dray. First one was no joy so on to the second, she puts a shot in and out comes a squirrel, wobbles along a branch and falls, hitting the floor dead. She was dancing with joy and I was so proud of her it was a fantastic feeling as we moved on, her now keen to get another and looking for drays. Then the icing on the cake, I spotted a couple of roe through the trees at about 80 yds and we set off to see how close we could get, now she hadn't seen them at this stage as they moved behind some trees and her dressed in her favourite colour it wasn't going to be easy but she managed to keep quiet and was careful not to stand on broken branches as we moved quietly towards the roe. She spotted them at about 50 yds and went into stalking mode making it to 30 yds before they sensed something wasn't right and moved off. She loved it and was so happy about the day but not a patch on how I was feeling
    wingy the proudest dad in the world
    Last edited by Wingy; 17-02-2014 at 19:53.
    unless you can prove it beyond all reasonable doubt, it wasn't me. If you can prove it then you must be mistaken

Well do mate she's a credit to you as already said she's a proper little Elmer Fudd nice one mate bazil ps nice write up

Quote Originally Posted by Wingy View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	421.8 KB 
ID:	38193Attachment 38189
    Well my little girl just loves being outside, be it playing in the garden, riding her bike or walking with the dogs, but most of all going shooting with her dad. At 3 years old she had a weekend camping and stalking trip with me in Scotland, as she makes so much noise it just turned into a walk with the rifle. While out she is always asking questions and wanting to learn, she can now identify a number of birds by sight and a couple by their call alone. Now a while ago I came across a Webley .410 bolt action for a good price (from Chris C on this site, thanks Chris). I cut the stock down and sprayed it her favourite colour, pink.
    At Christmas she got a double barrel cap gun from fur, fin & feather and has been practicing mounting the gun, muzzle awareness and safety. Last Saturday I planned to go and do a bit of squirrel shooting and she was keen to come along. So as she is now 4 years old and keeps telling me that's a grown up age compared with being 3, I decided to take her with the .410.
    With 12 gauge semi auto over the shoulder and her in tow with an unloaded .410 we set off through the woods in search of drays. The plan was locate a dray, point it out and position her so she could have a clear shot. I load her .410 and help her to take aim, she shoots the dray, then her gun is empty and safe leaving me and three shot to deal with any runners from the dray. First one was no joy so on to the second, she puts a shot in and out comes a squirrel, wobbles along a branch and falls, hitting the floor dead. She was dancing with joy and I was so proud of her it was a fantastic feeling as we moved on, her now keen to get another and looking for drays. Then the icing on the cake, I spotted a couple of roe through the trees at about 80 yds and we set off to see how close we could get, now she hadn't seen them at this stage as they moved behind some trees and her dressed in her favourite colour it wasn't going to be easy but she managed to keep quiet and was careful not to stand on broken branches as we moved quietly towards the roe. She spotted them at about 50 yds and went into stalking mode making it to 30 yds before they sensed something wasn't right and moved off. She loved it and was so happy about the day but not a patch on how I was feeling
    wingy the proudest dad in the world
    Howard watch out wingy got a new stalking partner

My lad isn't even one yet but I'm already eying up my cheap Brazillian .410 for a stock chop for him!

Well done, a good take out into mother Nature!

So, what do you guys think is the right age to take out for joining a stalk, a shoot and even to witness a kill of an animal?
    I cant realize my kids, 3 and 5 now, watching me actually taking a deer, or (even "worse"...) killing an animal on their own...
    Also they are checking the larder every time I get back in, also they join me, driving the carcasses to the local game dealer, also they know about the food chain and enjoy venison products in its whole variety, ....

I think its a very emotional moment after taking the animal to realize and deal with the situation to actually have killed something, I am not sure, how they (I still speak about my kids) would deal with it emotionwise...?

Sorry, I just bombed this thread, I should open another discussion about it....

Atb, I will be watching, how things with kids dvelope!
    People's hobbies are more their measure's than are their jobs.

Brilliant! It's nice to see kids out and about learning about nature instead of sitting at home playing computer games. You've every right to be pround of her.