Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I loading too hot!

Am I loading too hot!

Hi,

I am new to reloading and have been having some very good results with my 204 and rl10x powder with 39gr sierra blitzkings.

However my best load which is grouping a three shot group at .25" cntr @ 100yards is a max load according to sierra data. I went out tonight to try three different loads experimenting with seating depth and not sure if I'm getting pressure signs or not!

All my primers are flat and filled in pockets and ive had one damaged and marked primer from the last batch of nine. Also all of my Norma brass have an expansion ring appear near the head after firing weather it be a light or max load. These don't seem to be as bad on hornady cases.

Ive atrached photos, any thoughts appreciated?

Rich

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	271.0 KB 
ID:	38194

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	418.2 KB 
ID:	38196

Your single case photo looks OK - but how many reloadings, full length or neck resized, powder and primer used, annealed etc. etc?
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

That's not a great primer to be honest but not one that makes me think of pressure
    very odd pin strike with wide dent

rings around case shoulders are fine until you see serious "sparkling" where he brass has a look of beginning to separate

Can I ask what load of 10x you're using? 24.0 gr to 25. gr seems to be the norm for most people.

George

Primers are federal 205M. Max load is 25.1gr of rl10x.

Brass has been loaded twice and not annealed. All brass is currently full sized with hornady dies. Have measured fired cases with headspace gauge and dies knocking brass back .001 - .002.

other primers look fine other than very flat, and filled out in pocket. Could it be a faulty primer?

Just got a little conscious of pressure as running at max load, but noticeably better accuracy.

Would I be right in thinking that if you'd neck sized the brass, this could increase the pressure (higher case volume)?

viewed it on my phone at first
    primer doesn't look as bad as I first thought actually

certainly not too hot from primer symptoms IMO

this is what hot looks like:
    warm to Hot - left to right

note the absence of void around the primer edge, primer stops closer and closer to edge of primer pocket

As above i would say they look ok if you give me your load data ill run it through quickload to get a 'simulation' of the chamber pressure if you know your case h20, case lentgh and c.o.l that helps alot

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    viewed it on my phone at first
    primer doesn't look as bad as I first thought actually

certainly not too hot from primer symptoms IMO

this is what hot looks like:
    warm to Hot - left to right

note the absence of void around the primer edge, primer stops closer and closer to edge of primer pocket

Damn, they're hot loads.

Push that envelope!

I take it that your reloads chamber without effort and that you experience normal bolt lift after firing your "hot" loads?
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".