case length guage thread type - Lee

charlieboy-shooter

Hi Guys,

Just about to trim my 1st set of .222 rem cases and my new Lee case length gauge will not screw into the cutter any ideas on the thread 3/16 - 4.8mm is whit, UNC, ANC ??? just need to run the correct tap down the cutter as it looks like the start on the thread has been removed in the final machine process. Want to reload tomorrow & shop not open until Wedneday and too far to drive for a £4 part. Plus I should be able to borrow a tap from works machine shop in morning if I know thread.

Thanks

Ah spelt gauge wrong in title

Last edited:
They are usually a tight fit as the thread is split and slightly splayed out, if u can get it started just use some pliers to screw it fully in (not sure of the thread size)

Do not screw it to tightly against the cutter, just touching or even a fraction sort of the thread.
Trim a case an measure before tightening further.

Neil. :)

Do not screw it to tightly against the cutter, just touching or even a fraction sort of the thread.
Trim a case an measure before tightening further.

I just screw them on all the way. Who cares about a few thou so long as they are all the same length?~Muir

(And this thread becomes a perfect example of referendum reloading. One says yes! the other no! Both are correct! :D)

They are usually a tight fit as the thread is split and slightly splayed out, if u can get it started just use some pliers to screw it fully in (not sure of the thread size)

I can't really get it properly started, the gauge with the slot has a tapered start but the thread in the cutter does not have a start to the thread / damaged and hence the gauge just locks, and its certainly not straight. So I do not want to force it as it feels as if it will be cross threaded.

I can't really get it properly started, the gauge with the slot has a tapered start but the thread in the cutter does not have a start to the thread / damaged and hence the gauge just locks, and its certainly not straight. So I do not want to force it as it feels as if it will be cross threaded.

As suggested, squeeze the threaded section of the stud together and screw it in. They go on tight the first time in. I usually use a bit of brass shim held with pliers to get on. The Cutter end is hardened steel. You won't damage that part!~Muir

As suggested, squeeze the threaded section of the stud together and screw it in. They go on tight the first time in. I usually use a bit of brass shim held with pliers to get on. The Cutter end is hardened steel. You won't damage that part!~Muir

Ah yes your right, just squeezed the slotted end of gauge slighly in vice with soft jaw, rotated gauge held in vice again with soft jaws and screwed cutter on fine. Was obviously just being a bit of a div.

Thanks

Who cares about a few thou so long as they are all the same length?~Muir

(And this thread becomes a perfect example of referendum reloading. One says yes! the other no! Both are correct! :D)

I did, my first ever new brass, all trimmed .007" under trim length :oops:
It was a long time before it needed trimming again. Lol

I did, my first ever new brass, all trimmed .007" under trim length :oops:
It was a long time before it needed trimming again. Lol

If you used the same cutter they would have trimmed with the same amount of regularity, right?

My current batch of 7-08 is reformed 308 brass and .018" short. I don't mind. I always find the shortest case in the bunch and trim all the cases to that length, anyways, regardless of the cartridge. I crimp so uniformity in case length is more important than the actual length itself.~Muir

Back