Thread: Threading a Ruger No1

Threading a Ruger No1

I've recently collected my new No1 in 7mm Rem mag but I'm having problems finding someone to thread it, it's been to two gunsmiths and neither can fit it in the lathe.
    It's got a foresight which I'd like to keep and a barrel band fitted, anyone know of a gunsmith that could sort this for me ?
    Thanks in advance

Archie

You need to remove the barrel to thread No 1's

Suggest soldering the foresight to a invisible thread cap when moderator not in use.

Will be expensive (or more than usual pricing for threading I would expect)

No, I don't want to do the job...

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    try neil Mc killop of mckillop engineering 01189 333100.

regards

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Thanks for the reply Redmist, I've been quoted in the region of 200 for the job your talking about which I think isn't too bad considering the work involved.
    I got the impression from the two gunsmiths they weren't really into taking the barrel off to thread it !

Where's he based bob ?

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by archie12 View Post
    Where's he based bob ?
    hi big man

he is based north of basingstoke,

Neil is one of my best mates and builds rifle that shoot like you want too. he has done some no:1s for a couple of mates and they look and shot like they should do.

call him early morning 8 ish or at 4 pm, as he is a 1 man band and will just have the answer phone on the rest of the time.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by archie12 View Post
    Thanks for the reply Redmist, I've been quoted in the region of 200 for the job your talking about which I think isn't too bad considering the work involved.
    I got the impression from the two gunsmiths they weren't really into taking the barrel off to thread it !

Taking a barrel off to thread isn't an issue, however taking a factory barrel off can result in damage to the original barrel, which if its to be kept, isn't what you want.

Some, like some Remingtons …..and Rugers are bloody tight and have industrial strength thread lock applied (to make up for poor machining…)

Hence it can be tricky and not 100% guaranteed to take off the barrel unmarked.

[QUOTE=archie12;737500]I've recently collected my new No1 in 7mm Rem mag but I'm having problems finding someone to thread it, it's been to two gunsmiths and neither can fit it in the lathe.
    It's got a foresight which I'd like to keep and a barrel band fitted, anyone know of a gunsmith that could sort this for me ?

You could also try Richard Stork The Devizes Gunsmith - (RWS Engineering) - Gunsmith and Gunshop. He has three of my No1's all being screw cut with invisible caps, He Knows No1's inside out Awesome work..
    Last edited by GOMX; 18-02-2014 at 22:06.