Buy 2nd hand or new 1500 set up?

Rob3104

Having recently got a variation for a .243 I'm now into market for a new set up. I set off looking for a 2nd hand rifle/scope for approx £600-800 but there's not much in my local dealers.

A number of the dealers have suggested the same package: howa 1500, nikko sterling diamond scope, moderator, bipod and 5 shot magazine. All new for £899.

Look's like a great deal but not sure if I should hang out for a better 2nd deal.

Ant thoughts?

Whilst I'd like to spend more on the scope I don't want to get carried away. Not sure how use it's going to get. I'd be happy to upgrade.

I'd buy a second hand howa and spend the saved money on good glass

+1
Buy a good second hand rifle ( Howa-Rem700-Tikka ) and try to find a good second hand 6x42 or 8x56 by Zeiss, Swarovski or S&B. This will be slightly more expensive than the 899 package but A LOT better. Buying cheap optics is identical to throwing money in the bin.

+1
Buy a good second hand rifle ( Howa-Rem700-Tikka ) and try to find a good second hand 6x42 or 8x56 by Zeiss, Swarovski or S&B. This will be slightly more expensive than the 899 package but A LOT better. Buying cheap optics is identical to throwing money in the bin.

Is the situation really that bad when it comes to cheaper optics, especially someone starting out and likely to be shoot at distance no more than 100-150m?

Is the situation really that bad when it comes to cheaper optics, especially someone starting out and likely to be shoot at distance no more than 100-150m?

No...... Doesn't hurt to get the best you can afford but no sense in breaking the bank.... If you're not in a hurry, check out egun... Got my mauser 30.06 with a german (off brand) 6x42 for 135 euro.. There are several .243's on there now for around 500 euro ready for a scope. Get on optics planet (they'll ship to you) and pick up a 3-9x40 (or 1.5-6x42) nikon for <$200 and have fun. If you'd go for 30.06, they throw them at you on egun....

Very bad. If you only plan to shoot at short to medium range a 6x42 will be OK. I noticed that you can get, in the UK, a decent secondhand 6x42 for about £200-250. That will allow you to shoot in bad light a lot better and longer than the best "cheap" scope you can buy. Even if this cheap scope has a 56mm objective.
I say yhis out of personal experience. About 15 years back I bought Pentax binoculars for about £250. They stay at home because they are only half as good as the Kahles 6x42 scope wich I have. I still regret having spent money on this bino's.

There's a 243 CZ with a german scope for sale in the classifieds for £300 or £350, i would have thought if this shoots consistently you could do much worse. Also the scope will retain value over time if it is in reasonable order.

I put similar up in August or so, got some good replies:

New 243 on a budget

In the end I went for a Howa, purely because I could not find a secondhand set up that suited my needs and time was running out. Since then there have been numerous, so I guess it depends on how long you have.

No complaints yet on the Howa though. £800 for the package without a bipod, I already had one.

A number of the dealers have suggested the same package: howa 1500, nikko sterling diamond scope, moderator, bipod and 5 shot magazine. All new for £899.

I got a good condition Sauer 202 stutzen for less than that(£800) with mounts and rings. added a Swarovski 6x42 for £260, Soooo much more of a rifle than a howa

I picked up a second hand Howa 1500 in .243 with a Wildcat Mod for £295 last month and chucked one of my spare scopes on there. Really glad I picked this up and if I can just get the scope to behave then I'll be using it for my DSC1 shooting test on Monday.

Also picked up a Howa 1500 in .223 with a lovely thumbhole wooden stock and Tasco 6-24x50 scope for £200 a day later.

Pretty good weekend all in all and meant I can be out in the field without having to save too many pennies for a new set up.

Well worth hunting for the value guns then tracking them down to see if they live up to expectations.

I picked up a second hand Howa 1500 in .243 with a Wildcat Mod for £295 last month and chucked one of my spare scopes on there. Really glad I picked this up and if I can just get the scope to behave then I'll be using it for my DSC1 shooting test on Monday.

Also picked up a Howa 1500 in .223 with a lovely thumbhole wooden stock and Tasco 6-24x50 scope for £200 a day later.

Pretty good weekend all in all and meant I can be out in the field without having to save too many pennies for a new set up.

Well worth hunting for the value guns then tracking them down to see if they live up to expectations.

you've got an ear for a deal Chuck!!! Where did you find those deals? Guntrader?

Last edited:
If you want a scope thats good in low light pick up a Yukon Photon...

Sorry couldn't resist that one :)

OT: I actually started out on my 243 with a Bushnell Trophy XLT 3x9-40 for £99 new, it is basic but worked extremely well in last light and even when out foxing under the lamp. It now sits on top of a mates 308 and to this day he see's no need to upgrade to a £600+ scope. I will say however the Bushnell Banners are fairly naff and don't have the clarity of the Trophy XLTs which are around the same price.

Its horses for courses but best thing is don't write off the more budget scopes, if you can take a look through a few different ones and see if you can honestly tell the difference in clarity. One argument is if you need that extra few minutes at dusk to pick up that deer make sure you have a tracking dog to hand...

Very bad. If you only plan to shoot at short to medium range a 6x42 will be OK. I noticed that you can get, in the UK, a decent secondhand 6x42 for about £200-250. That will allow you to shoot in bad light a lot better and longer than the best "cheap" scope you can buy. Even if this cheap scope has a 56mm objective.
I say yhis out of personal experience. About 15 years back I bought Pentax binoculars for about £250. They stay at home because they are only half as good as the Kahles 6x42 scope wich I have. I still regret having spent money on this bino's.

Ths84.... Thanks for you comments

If you want a scope thats good in low light pick up a Yukon Photon...

Sorry couldn't resist that one :)

OT: I actually started out on my 243 with a Bushnell Trophy XLT 3x9-40 for £99 new, it is basic but worked extremely well in last light and even when out foxing under the lamp. It now sits on top of a mates 308 and to this day he see's no need to upgrade to a £600+ scope. I will say however the Bushnell Banners are fairly naff and don't have the clarity of the Trophy XLTs which are around the same price.

Its horses for courses but best thing is don't write off the more budget scopes, if you can take a look through a few different ones and see if you can honestly tell the difference in clarity. One argument is if you need that extra few minutes at dusk to pick up that deer make sure you have a tracking dog to hand...

you've got an ear for a deal Chuck!!! Where did you find those deals? Guntrader?

Just a mixture of luck and persistency in patrolling GunTrader...

The .243 was spotted on there and being sold in a lovely place just outside Burford by a young RFD who used to work at Churchill's.

The .223 was one in my local gunshop that I'd seen back in November and he was closing down so everything was 50% off and I couldn't resist.

Just need to find the time to get out and shoot them now!

Back