Thread: Strange Seasonal Behaviour

Strange Seasonal Behaviour

My mate who works on the estate was out for a walk last week, late in the evening and saw a group of 15 Sika, absolutely positive every one was a calf. Same day I saw regularly a group of 40 mixed hinds of various ages and calves. I have never seen calves grouped up as early as this before. I can't believe its possible for hinds covered early last year to already be pushing yearlings away!!!??? Gralloched a 2 year old hind (at a guess) a few days ago and the foetus was of a size I would expect to see. Shot quite a few last week and all calves that were appearing except one just mentioned.

I'm not convinced the group of calves is as a result of hinds chasing them off, it just seems far to early. Is the rut and subsequent birth of those resulting calves really starting that early and carrying in that late? Two years ago still had stags holding hinds first week in December. Interested in what others think...

Heard the first woodpecker this morning as well when out with the dogs.....

Been a screwy rear for everything... Dogs coming in heat, 2 of our mares are starting to cycle hard. The pregnant ones are acting like it's time while thay are several weeks away. Some spring flowers are up and I just saw several of the green backed woodpeckers the other day and I think one of the red kites that hang out all summer. Birds are singing the mating songs also...

Had this a few years ago with Fallow
    but in January
    noticed a lot of fawns all bunching up
    i put it down to the amount of Does being shot at the time by the surrounding estates
    as all deer were on edge and not many deer showing

Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    Had this a few years ago with Fallow
    but in January
    noticed a lot of fawns all bunching up
    i put it down to the amount of Does being shot at the time by the surrounding estates
    as all deer were on edge and not many deer showing
    That thought had also crossed my mind Richard... I've not shot a lot of mature hinds this year...