Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hilux with no Balls

Hilux with no Balls

Less than 6 months ago I replaced the worn bottom ball joints on my Toyota Hilux. These replacements came from a reputable dealer. Yesterday the Hilux goes for an MOT and fails on bottom ball joints. Now this motor is used for the purpose it was intended but not harshly. Suspension ball joints used to last a lot longer than 6 months. Is this the result of inferior material or is it a failing in Toyota. Beginning to wish I had never parted with my Defender.

Most likely is actually something wrong with the the rest of the assembly, putting pressure on the joint. Something may be bent or out of alignment (lower arm or tie rod).

who replaced the balls and what brand?

Audis have lots of ball joints but if I use anything other than OE quality Meyle or Lemforder replacement they last about 3m
    I once had a garage use Delphi components despite charging me for Meyle and it failed in exactly the way you have described!)

if they are high quality and replaced like for like they will be under warranty

Don't buy cheapo Milner ones. I had a bottom ball joint on my Surf last about 3 months before failing and costing me over 500 in bits plus a recovery truck and my own labour to fix. The warranty they offered would only have replaced the faulty part.

Quote Originally Posted by Malxwal View Post
    Don't buy cheapo Milner ones. I had a bottom ball joint on my Surf last about 3 months before failing and costing me over 500 in bits plus a recovery truck and my own labour to fix. The warranty they offered would only have replaced the faulty part.
    Never really had a problem with Milner parts and I use them a lot, its maybe true that they don't last as long as manufacturers parts but at about a third of the price I'm not complaining.

Sealed for life with no grease nipples. My burd has well greased nipples on her car.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Never really had a problem with Milner parts and I use them a lot, its maybe true that they don't last as long as manufacturers parts but at about a third of the price I'm not complaining.
    Aye, if ye catch them before they fail. This particular one failed in such a manner that the front wheel was face down under the lower wishbone holding the vehicle up. Thankfully it happened at crawling speed up a farm road, if it had happened doing 60 on the main road I could have lost a lot more than I did.

I've used Milner for parts before and had mixed results - can anyone suggest somewhere else as, coincidentally, I need two front lower balljoints for my Navara D40?

I too have used Milners for parts on Jap imports, and to be honest have not experienced any problem, until recently,we had with a NEW Starter motor for an Izusu in feb last year , I did at the time point out that their replacement does not meet up to the original spec, but they insisted that's the only version they have always supplied and never had any issues.
    The dam thing completely shorted out almost a day to within a year.
    We are awaiting there results.
    Last edited by maxtich; 20-02-2014 at 09:29.

Well, well. I have used the garage who did the MOT for years and have always been happy to follow their advice. On this occasion it was get new ball joints from Milners. Ordered yesterday and arrived first thing this morning. Good service by any means. Ball joints look ok, come with all the bolts, split pin and grease nipple. Instructions on greasing joint included. So far in my book beating the 12 dearer sealed joints I will be taking off.