Thread: moderator weights

moderator weights

As far as full bore moderators go, is anyone aware of a site or a list which g thivese weights of the different types available?

Just tried my wildcat 8 on my new rifle and although i did not really notice it on my old one it seems a bit on the heavy side on this one and im worried it may affect the floating barrel.

Might have to trade/sell for a new one.

Cheers

David

Well bed the barrel

If it's done properly I doubt you will be able to tell the difference in accuracy.

What is the lightest moderator on th emarket for a centre fire rifle? (.243)

For every weight loss in construction, there is a price to pay either in quality & therefore performance/ working life, or in a monetary price as in Titanium vs Stain less steels.

Quote Originally Posted by david1976
    Sorry David but I have no idea in fact I have not made up my mind which way to go in acquiring a moderator and I am looking for my first to fit this 25-06 that I got the other week.

Having read several tests on them it seems that every test you read has a different result and conclusion it's seems that behind the smoke and mirrors is a deep dark murky pool and somehow we have to see to the bottom of it.

I do not believe that the free floated barrel is the cure all that it's sold as being. My personal view is that it's a cheap manufacturing short cut so they can use cheaper materials and methods in production and nothing more than that. The only floated barrels I have have come that way from the factory and they are not my most accurate rifles either

On sound moderators for the centrefire the only thing I am sure of is that it will not be a T4, T8 nor a wildcat. The rest well I am still trying to see through the smoke and mirrors and am seriously considering making my own

Have a look at Jackson rifles website for the info. They also have a zipped file of all the datasheets here:

http://www.jacksonrifles.com/files/d...UKdatapack.zip

The lightest seems to be A-TEC CMM-4 Alu - 220g.

Greg

A note on Ally mods, I have a moderator that has lived on my .17HMR since it was purchased, not centrefire agreed, but the aluminium construction is utilised for the baffle unit as well as the shell, erosion is now quite pronounced & I have replaced it with an old but nice condition steel Parker-Hale job, so keep a weather eye on the Ally ones

Quote Originally Posted by glogin
    Have a look at Jackson rifles website for the info. They also have a zipped file of all the datasheets here:

http://www.jacksonrifles.com/files/d...UKdatapack.zip

The lightest seems to be A-TEC CMM-4 Alu - 220g.

Greg
    thats what i was lookng for cheers

Quote Originally Posted by david1976
    Quicksilver - made of Titanium, so pretty spendy - but absolutely tiny and weighs nothing!

Rgds

Ian

Oh well after saying this:-

only thing I am sure of is that it will not be a T4, T8 nor a wildcat
    Today I brought a Wildcat 8

The 300 mm version which according to my kitchen scales weighs in at 725g (1lb 9oz in old money) which means my Parker-Hale 1200C with the Schmidt & Bender 6x42 scope in the Leupold std extension rings on a one piece mount now weighs 11lbs 1oz I'll bet once I replace the front sling stud (someone stripped it so I picked up a machine screw one today) the sling takes it to 11 1/2lbs .................... hmmm I think we will forgo the bi-pod looks like I will have to make up a set of sticks

This P-H has nice wood on it but darn it's a heavy stock.